Are all bubble levels compatible with DSLRs?

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I read some reviews on amazon.com and people were complaining about the levels being too tights to the point they feared forcing them in, especially for Nikons. Any suggestions (preferably from amazon) with three axes that work hassle-free with a Nikon? I would be using it on my D7100.

I've bought several over the years, and never had an issue with any of them. Given that they're pretty much all cheap, MIC products, if it is tight, just tweak it 'til it fits the way you want. They're only plastic.

I read some reviews on amazon.com and people were complaining about the levels being too tights to the point they feared forcing them in, especially for Nikons. Any suggestions (preferably from amazon) with three axes that work hassle-free with a Nikon? I would be using it on my D7100.

Not your question but on the slight chance you didn't know the d7100 has a level horizon indicator and levels you can turn on in the viewfinder

Who really knows what the commenters experienced? It could be that one or two of them were trying to insert the level backward. Or were just not mechanically inclined.

IMO you should read the comments with a grain of salt.

The thing is not a lot of money, so just get one and try it.

If it fits tightly, then good; it won't fall out.

I've read of a few MIC bubble levels that were indeed, sloppily made and too large to fit various hot shoes. I think a few passes with a manicure file ought to shave off enough plastic to achieve a decent fit. If the problem is overall too much height top-to-bottom across the entire width of the hot shoe bearing surface, I expect that 15,20,25 strokes across a sheet of medium-grit sandpaper would eliminate enough plastic to make the fit acceptable.

I own one of these little deals, and it's old and well-made...it fits great in any camera I own. But then again, it was made maybe 20 years ago, in Japan, before the "everything for $1 of less Made in China" explosion of cheap, shoddy, poorly-engineered products began to flood the markets around the world with substandard crap.

Most reactions

Back