Are all?

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are all camera stores lame? I went to two. One was packed and dusty and no one was around to help. The other had no selection and was over-priced. I know alot of people shop online, but is it just because camera stores are lame in general?

Not because they're lame...but because they're super expensive.
B&H has more buying power than anyone pretty much, so they get really good prices.

I would buy from a local store if I wasn't saving 200 dollars on a 430EX, or 100 dollars on a B+W polarizer, or 100 dollars on a backpack...

Not because they're lame...but because they're super expensive.
B&H has more buying power than anyone pretty much, so they get really good prices.

I would buy from a local store if I wasn't saving 200 dollars on a 430EX, or 100 dollars on a B+W polarizer, or 100 dollars on a backpack...
Witch is why camera stores will be going out of business.... Or at least be taking the rout of my local wolf camera...

They are not going to be carrying pro gear anymore. They "just didnt sell enough of it"

Wonder why?

Witch is why camera stores will be going out of business.... Or at least be taking the rout of my local wolf camera...

They are not going to be carrying pro gear anymore. They "just didnt sell enough of it"

Wonder why?

well...can ya blame me? lol

oh god I am good at walking into things I dont mean to walk into.

Hey, if the camera stores offered service I would have bought today...but they didnt. and one gave me asthma.

Wonder why?

Scott, even the one downtown? I actually do use that store when I haven't planned enough ahead and need to get something quickly or if I get a gift certificate (I always ask for gift certificates to camera stores for Xmas and my bday:)

Nope not that one, its the one that's in Broomfield. Far as I know, the one on California st will continue to carry all the good stuff!

And they are going to be shutting down the one on grant St and 104th... Pity.

I buy everything from B&H.

In the town I live in, Wal-Mart is the local camera shop.
I could get in the car and drive a hour to Dallas - where there are real camera shops (there's probably a Wolf/Ritz closer than that, in Rockwall somewhere - but that's still a half hour out). I don't do that for a few reasons...

1 - How do I know they have what I want? I don't, and I don't like driving all the way out there praying that they have the lens I'm looking for.

2 - They're more expensive. Add to that the cost of the gas it takes to get there and I'll gladly pay the shipping costs from B&H.

3 - I hate sales people. When I walk into a store, I usually already know what I want. I hate it when people try to talk me into some crap I don't want so they can get their commission.

I have a localish camera shop that the service and personal attention justifies the slightly extra cost over BH. Amazingly enough they seem to be doing well and expanding. I do have to admit... they are rare and 2 of the 4 local shops I know have closed their doors in the past year or so.

I have Penn Camera here which has a bunch of stores in the DC area and is also expanding. Great shop, pro level stuff, great help, and far better than the Ritz/Wolf conglomerate. I think Ritz empire by far has the most buying power more than anybody (even B&H), but they have an enormous retail overhead to maintain and hence higher pricing. Penn Camera around me has great prices on lenses and bodies, but jacks up the prices on accessories big time. But that's ok with me. I prefer to buy all of my stuff from them now, considering one of their stores is literally like 10 minutes down the road. I'll never buy another lens or camera body from mail-order. I've had problems with both B&H and Adorama with that, getting defective stuff. They took it back, but the hassle of return shipping and all that was just annoying.

My only local pro store in the area told me yesterday that they and Nikon mutually dropped each other because of the suck service they were getting from the Nikon rep.

I don't know if it was just a case of sour grapes on the part of the owners of the place, but the story he told was depressing and infuriating! They now have an exclusive with Canon which really sucks to me being a Nikon guy!

There are absolutely zero pro stores around here anywhere. Everything I want locally, I have to order. Need a remote... order it, need a 17-55 2.8... order it, need a D300... order it. Need a battery grip or studio backdrop light... order it! Big hassle. I wish I had the pockets deep enough to open a "pro" store around here somewhere.

So for me, B&H it is. I don't have a choice (not that I mind B&H).

I've got a camera shop in town, but boy are they overpriced. I'm currently shopping for a battery pack for my flashes. I'm looking at the Canon CP-E4 for my Canon 580exII. B&H has it for $150. My local store wants more the $200 for it. It's silly if you ask me. I believe in shopping locally when I can...but not if I'm getting ripped off.

If there's an accessory I want for $150 online and a local shop has it for $175, I'll pay the $175. But yeah, $200 is a bit much.

some shops (what is a store? :p) are lame, not all. the problem is that many people trying to sell cameras are not photographers.

Most reactions

Back