Are camera and lens prices dropping?

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks,

I have been lens shopping on eBay. Have noticed less competition and lower prices. It might just be a temporary thing though.

I have been lens shopping on eBay. Have noticed less competition and lower prices. It might just be a temporary thing though.
Yes, it might just be a temporary, seasonal kind of thing.

People aren't buying the same things as they used to, a lot of people in the UK have been furloughed or work has dried up. Global economy is plummeting as a result of the pandemic...this is going to make the market collapse of 2008 look like a minor bump in the road and probably the biggest economic turmoil since WWII

Hi Folks,

Lonnie, I don’t hang out on EBay so when the you see the prices for Canon 1Dxlll’s and 600mm hitting down around the 100 dollar mark each, could you please let me know?!?!
I’m glad to kick ya ten bucks as a finders fee!!
Lonnie, thanks so much!
SS

I can see prices dropping now, but sooner or later people will feel the pinch in the wallet and camera kit will be put up for sale.

I haven't noticed yet

People aren't buying the same things as they used to, a lot of people in the UK have been furloughed or work has dried up. Global economy is plummeting as a result of the pandemic...this is going to make the market collapse of 2008 look like a minor bump in the road and probably the biggest economic turmoil since WWII

/\ /\ /\ what he said. If you’re one of the lucky few whos income and/or savings/retirement haven’t taken a big hit, these coming few weeks/months (or longer) will be the time to buy used gear at a good price. In the market for another hobby of mine, several big name companies who rarely ever discount are even now discounting new products.

There's also the other side of the coin in that eventually many companies might find global shutdowns stop them from working or producing or shipping. So stocks can suddenly run dry on products too. As much as companies want to encourage sales now, some might find that eventually they can't even sell which will send prices in the other direction for any market that's still got a buying population. I've seen this with wargaming where the biggest name in the business is fully shut down and all their stocks are vanishing worldwide - with prices in the secondhand market creeping up as stocks continue to diminish.

The only absolute eBay rule I have learned is that when I sell something, prices are down but when Iv buy, they go up!

The Nikon D800's, and the D810's are down around $500.00 to $600.00. I would love to have the camera. But only when I am absolutely ready for it. Right now I am enjoying a new Nikon D610. It is a rather strange predicament to be in. I find myself going back and forth in the decision making process. Should I make a purchase of a nice pre-owned Nikon D800 or D810 or should I just calm down and enjoy the D610 for a while.

Most reactions

Back