Are camera and lens prices dropping?

Should I make a purchase of a nice pre-owned Nikon D800 or D810 or should I just calm down and enjoy the D610 for a while.
I say calm down. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, then start buying lenses.

its economics. and bad luck. The day i order a new lens from a place that will actually send it to me. I get a internet ad from a gun seller that is listing in stock, italian surplus rifles that i have actually wanted for about 7 years. and the lens woudl have bout me 4 of those rifles, or 1 rifle and a large pile of ammunition.

Or i can look back in time and realize that in 1992 the cost of my lens would have purchased me about 24,000 rounds of 22lr rimfire that during the obama years i could have resold at a profit of 40$ per 500 rounds..... and gone and gotten myself a really fun lens or camera. or a used leica

Hi Folks,

I have been lens shopping on eBay. Have noticed less competition and lower prices. It might just be a temporary thing though.

We were told to stay in the house and social distance which means the demand for camera equipment may have dropped, that drops the price. Since no one can go outside. Now, I challenge you to find some exercise equipment... None can be found here at any store. There is one or two sets going for a ridiculous price gouge. =]

It is a good time for photographers to buy. =]

not a good time to buy unless you know what places are honest, and how old specific equipment model numbers are.

Example, meijers have been selling in michigan, canon t6 with 2 kit lens for 500 for the last 8 months. last week they moved their electronic section layout around, and somehow the price on them went up to 690.00

online venders seem to dumping alot of 2010-2015 gear on the market. have seen memory cards, sandisk and others on store shelves, that have the same upc code and general name of product,,,, but the 3 or 4 different package illustrations.....

will give you different memory limits,, one can be 156 and the other two can be 158 gb capacity cards. all the same upc codes.

Funny when you can combine the three packages and come up with a sdhc card with U1 speed class, and 70mbps speed thats 4K video rated.

Buying lenses from Ebay has been awefull for me. Once when I have bought one lens and it was damaged and I send it for an exchange but they delayed it so much and my need for that lens was no longer there. I needed that lens for an occasion and after buying when I saw the damage I wanted to return it and only store credit was available for me so I told them to end me another one that is not damaged but they delayed it so much that my occasion ended and after a month I received the new one. It was frustrating and I was so mad at them and never ever ordered anything from them that can be damaged.

I think the Canon R6 and R5 will have a profound impact on the used full frame market. We've already seen steep discounts for new 5D mark IVs. Sony and Nikon are also have to competing. As the replacement cycle and migration to mirrorless continues there will be a glut on the used market.

For APS-C shooters who have considered full frame, if you're willing to go used and traditional DSLR, now's the time.

There's also the other side of the coin in that eventually many companies might find global shutdowns stop them from working or producing or shipping. So stocks can suddenly run dry on products too. As much as companies want to encourage sales now, some might find that eventually they can't even sell which will send prices in the other direction for any market that's still got a buying population. I've seen this with wargaming where the biggest name in the business is fully shut down and all their stocks are vanishing worldwide - with prices in the secondhand market creeping up as stocks continue to diminish.

Yes, this, try and find a decent laptop or low end ink jet printer. All back ordered, some models for months and months. Work and school from home demand has completely dried up all supply lines. I think if you have the money to spend and a secure income/job etc. then buy before pipeline dries out and prices skyrocket. Short term the used market will be where the real deals are, retailers can only take so much off new stock unless they are filling chapter 7.

I notice a few months ago ebay lens prices were pretty cheap in the thick of the lock down. Now they're back up so you have to shop carefully and be willing to be outbid for a better deal later on.

The perfect storm! 1) A lot of people are hurting from the pandemic and don't have the money to spend. Those photographers who need cash are selling their gear. Even those with the cash are being conservative given the unknowns. The result is a flood of used gear and lack of demand for new products putting pressure on prices; 2) Mirrorless technology is causing a stir in the market. Those dslr owners who can afford it are selling their dslrs and glass for mirrorless bodies and glass, so there is a lot of good used equipment out there, which puts price pressure on used gear; 3) Nikon is struggling financially due to the pandemic and they have come late to the game on mirrorless and are behind. They just announced the new Z6 II and Z7 II cameras at surprisingly low prices and were forced to reduce the price of their earlier mirrorless products and dslrs to match the lower prices of the IIs. Their price reduction is putting pressure on the market. In addition, with the R5 Canon has passed Sony in leadership for mirrorless technology, which puts price pressure on both Sony and Nikon equipment. It's also Christmas time and companies struggling in a down year are doing their best to save the year by increasing sales, so they are decreasing prices.

Most reactions

Back