are cheap flashes crummy?

Raven

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so, i just got my tax return, and thinking of picking up a pentax K-x as my first slr.
with that, i have an option of either getting the Pentax k-x with an additional lens of 55-150 or 200...

OR

just get a regular pentax K-x with the standard 18-55 ml kit lens and add a flash on top of it.

now, ebay has a few flashes for the k-x that start at 40ish bucks.

considering i've seen flashes go for a few hundred dollars, even as much as 900 dollars...how crappy can a 40 dollar flash be? i mean, since i am a noob, i dont want something that is too high end, but at the same time, i want something that will last for quiet some time and is decent- not the best- but gets the job done.

and i'll be taking pics indoors and outdoors...

I have a vivitar 383 and its a terrific flash, it cost ~120, which is half as much as the nikon equivalent. It's solidly built and works well

Define crummy.

The lower the price, the fewer the features, and often the less power a flash unit has.

If you're willing to learn how to manually use strobed light (flash) and bypass the auto modes you can save some money. If you need the auto modes you'll need to spend more.

I use my flash units in manual mode so I don't need any bells and whistles like TTL, but I do need power so I use these $90 flash units: Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash

Though I have one of these that has equal power bit only cost $50 on order to try: YONGNUO Flash Speedlite YN-460II for Nikon Canon Pentax

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I only use yongnuo flashes now. you can get ttl versions for 90 and manual for 40. They are great little flash units and I have not had a problem with them. They are a little less powerful then cannon or nikon flashes, but if shooting off camera you can quadruple them up for the same cost as a 1 nikon and have tons more power!....although you really don't need that many.

i have 2 285hvs and one nikon sb-28
havent got to use the nikon yet, but the 285's are well worth the money.

I'm still loving my Lumopro 160 from mpex
Full manual, but works like a charm and just as powerful as the Canon 580 EX II

But, the LP 160 seems kind of overpriced ($160) for what you get.

For $50 you get a GN of 38 m with a YN 460 II. You can get 3 of the YN 460 II's for $160.
With the LP160 you get a GN of 42.6 m for $160.

But, the LP 160 seems kind of overpriced ($160) for what you get.

For $50 you get a GN of 38 m with a YN 460 II. You can get 3 of the YN 460 II's for $160.
With the LP160 you get a GN of 42.6 m for $160.

just wanted to add that the yn 460II is the same yongnuo flash I mentioned earler

Reviews werent out yet on the YNs when I got my LP160.

It's definately a must for my next round of flash purchases

Most reactions

Back