Are DSLRs as good as wet plate? my friend says yes

photoguy99

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
But he's obviously a fool? Right?

I mean, a DSLR doesn't come close to the resolution of a well made wet plate, there's all that fussing around in lightroom, and then any idiot can just stamp out copies endlessly!

Obviously the relatively trivial advantages of the DSLR are outweighed by the important benefits of wet plate. Wet plate gives you maximum sharpness and a unique object.

Right?

yes. I believe so.

Please imagine that I have waved away your nonexistent argument and repeated my thesis: the photography I do is the only real photography, and yours isn't!

WFTW!!!

Wet plate For The Win!!!!

Like a trendy, cleverly-trimmed beard, like a belt AND suspenders, like Doc Martins with plaid pants and a cardigan sweater, like a corncob pipe and tweed suit, and like a mechanical wristwatch from the 1940's, wet plate says "Hipster dufus!" in a way that, well, a few hundred other things can say, but which NO d-slr can ever possibly convey. d-slrs are plebian! Wet plate is...hip, trendy, cool, and makes chicks want to bed you!

Why, wet plate is easy as pie!!! And yes, I'm beating the chicks off!!!!

IMG_0040-Edit-2-Edit-2.jpg

Why, wet plate is easy as pie!!! And yes, I'm beating the chicks off!!!!

View attachment 86936

OMG! What kind of women do you hang out with?!

:D

DSLRs are better because it doesn't cost an arm and a leg per shot and you can stitch together a panorama to have better resolution than with a wet plate. And since the subjects have to remain still for both types of photos, it's a non issue. :D

It's awesome! A camera that gets about 5 miles per gallon: The Amazing Camera Truck of Ian Ruhter - DIY Photography

I have a cell phone with a camera. I have several SLR's and several dSLR's. I have some P&S cameras that are like a digital version of a rangefinder. And, I have a P&S that takes 2 Mpx photos. I used to have a wet darkroom, now I have a digital version.

They all have their place. So does medium format, and large format. They are all tools. I judge some better than others for what I want to do.

Similarly, I have a tool collection that includes screwdrivers and wrenches from the local off brand hardware store, which are cheap, and Snap-On and Hazet tools, which are much higher quality. Which wrench is better? Better for what?

You want agreement that a cell phone camera is better for the masses? Fine. You have it. You want me to agree that a cell phone camera is a substitute for a dSLR? Sorry, I have used a cell phone camera and for 99% of what I shoot, a cell phone just doesn't cut it.

what is wet plate ?????

Of course a cell phone isn't a substitute for a DSLR.

Think we're asking the wrong questions. The question should be: Which camera system makes the best smoothies?" Or since we're comparing things to DSLR's :Can the wet plate make a better smoothie than your favourinte DSLR?"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back