Are film SLRs worth buying?

nonamexx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was looking for a decent SLR camera but digial SLRs are way beyond my budget and spending capacity and I was wondering if it is worth going the film route.

I am seriously interested in improving my photography skills and range and I was wondering how troublesome it would be to develop films these days.

I was thinking of transparency film - how easy are they to use and what is their availability in India?

Any responses would be appreciated.

Think about how much you have to spend on film and developing.

I picked up a film pentax (honestly only for the lenses that work on my D-slr)... I picked up some film for it and had a very hard time with it... knowing that every shot costs more and more $$$... if it's good or bad it doesn't matter.

that being said... if you could find an older (all manual) SLR you can learn A LOT and have a good time... I was shooting from the time I was 4 (not good mind you) on my kodak/fisher price 110... stepped up to 35mm P&S at one point and eventualy to my dads early 70's nikromat in 5th grade... I learned a lot back then... but i never shot a ton due to film associated costs... by the time I was shooting my dad didn't have a dark room anymore so it was always waiting to send in and get film back.

so if you can find something inexpensive then i'd say go for it and have fun... I don't know what DSLR prices are like in india (i'm not assuming great) but in the states you could pretty quickly get a used entry level DSLR if you got a bit crazy with the film... about 30-40 rolls (cheap processing and cheap film) and you could just dab your way into a used entry level dSLR... just a though

Fact is I wanted to ask about transparency films. Can they be scanned directly into the computer? What equipment do you need to process transparency films?

I am lost on that question. Do not know anything about that kind of film.

might try the film section, no clue what you mean. Isnt all film transparent?

Scanning reversal film is no different then scanning negatives--the results just aren't inverted.

Reversal film is typically more expensive to have developed, as it uses the E6 process which most cheapo developers (drug stores/walmart) have to send out to have done.

Reversal film can look great, but doesn't have quite the exposure latitude of negative film--it's every easy to blow out the highlights with reversal film.

As for film slr's, they're so cheap these days that it's hard to go wrong. I'd look for a nikon FM or FE with a 50mm lens.

Scanning reversal film is no different then scanning negatives--the results just aren't inverted.

Reversal film is typically more expensive to have developed, as it uses the E6 process which most cheapo developers (drug stores/walmart) have to send out to have done.

Reversal film can look great, but doesn't have quite the exposure latitude of negative film--it's every easy to blow out the highlights with reversal film.

As for film slr's, they're so cheap these days that it's hard to go wrong. I'd look for a nikon FM or FE with a 50mm lens.

Thanks. I am very excited about the thought of a film SLR because it's so affordable compared to digital SLRs. I'll research to find out what one is available where I live and the pricing and availability of film etc.

Here slide roll costs about 5€, development about 3€, plus about 5€ to have a Kodak Picture CD (less for other kinds of digitization). A scanner with transparency module costs slightly more than usual, but if you want quality, you have to spend much more. Consider also these costs (although perhaps you will spend less in proportion for development and rolls).

Here slide roll costs about 5€, development about 3€, plus about 5€ to have a Kodak Picture CD (less for other kinds of digitization). A scanner with transparency module costs slightly more than usual, but if you want quality, you have to spend much more. Consider also these costs (although perhaps you will spend less in proportion for development and rolls).

I'll have to consider all these factors. Thanks for letting me know the approx cost factors to consider when getting into film photography.

Also regarding digitization, I'll have to see what choices are offered by the studio. Or get a scanner myself.

Things you buy for nostalgia (not efficient functionality):

Carburated cars
CRT monitors
Typewriters
VCRs
Landline phones
Film Cameras
Nintendo

Things you buy for nostalgia (not efficient functionality):

Carburated cars
CRT monitors
Typewriters
VCRs
Landline phones
Film Cameras
Nintendo

I actually have a carburated car.

Typewriter - check, I do actually have an old pre-war German typewriter - still functioning and still good enough in a crunch to type a letter or two. Might be an antique piece actually - haven't checked the date.

VCRs - not actually but it's actually quite the only choice to record TV programmes these days.

Landline phones are still common in India and pretty much still going strong - check. We have one at home.

Film camera - I actually own a 35mm film camera, just not a film SLR. Rarely used though.

CRT monitor - our television set is still a CRT, so there you go.

Nintendo - this I must admit, I don't own a Nintendo, though I owned an old Nintendo video game - Mario Bros or years ago.

I would consider saving for a DSLR, you could get a Canon 10d, or even one of the first Rebels, for a couple hundred dollars. A decent SLR film will run you around a $100.

I see no advantage to going film if you want DSLR.

I would say its allways useful to Learn The old way,i use Black and white Film in My Slr and use My digital for colour.
I process my own film and print it myself aswell.i find it cheaper to do then to do it in a store,most dont bother with Black and white unless its processed using Colour Chemicals (C-41).

Im considering trying Reversal Film,but im considering buying a Medium format Camera First to do this with as the Negatives are Bigger and more Visable :)

Most reactions

Back