Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When it's a football player? I hope so! ;)

Again in the spirit of working on preps for next school year's advertising, the son of a friend came by to pose for some in-studio 'hero' shots (we'll be doing a session on the field later). As some of you know, I like my modifiers... I like BIG modifiers; 60" brolly boxes, 48x60 SBs, etc... Something I really don't do much work in is bare tube stuff, but I decided to do some experimenting and was pleasantly surprised. Both of these are bare-tube with barn doors only. The lighting definitely needs some refinement, but for just a quick, "Hey, I wonder if..." I was very pleased.

As always, critique, comments and suggestions, especially with regard to football by anyone more knowledgable than I (which is all of you!) greatly appreciated!

Jason_O1.jpg

Jason_O2.jpg

Shoulder pads are completely acceptable. When is comes to Hero shots, here in the states one of the most common football hero shots tend to be position specific.

I think I would be pleased too. The addition of the second light seems to have really helped. I did a single bare bulb once pointed up at a white ceiling and it also turned out very soft. I'm guessing the black background and the 2nd light makes this work as well as it does. Good job. And I would point out that you now know more about football photo's than me!

All I know is they look pretty awesome. I have no suggestions other than can I please download your know-how into my brain?

I'd love to have seen #2 with two hairlights on either side of the subject, and bleeding through the frame.

Shoulder pads are completely acceptable. When is comes to Hero shots, here in the states one of the most common football hero shots tend to be position specific.
Good point, and that's one of things that Jason told me about when we were discussing this. It seems that in the past most of the shots have been the same pose (more or less) for everyone, and they'd like more individuality.

I think I would be pleased too. The addition of the second light seems to have really helped. I did a single bare bulb once pointed up at a white ceiling and it also turned out very soft. I'm guessing the black background and the 2nd light makes this work as well as it does. Good job. And I would point out that you now know more about football photo's than me!
Thanks Rick - this was basically a variation on the two strip light lighting pattern that's commonly used for sports (Mainly because I don't have two strip lights ATM). I need to tweak the lights a hair, but overall, I'm pretty sure I like the direction it's going.

Looks like a 50/50 split, so I'm not overly taken by the lighting. Bare tube fine, probably needs a reflector for the center of chest area in #1.

All I know is they look pretty awesome. I have no suggestions other than can I please download your know-how into my brain?
Thanks JC; they're not quite 'there' yet, but getting close.

I'd love to have seen #2 with two hairlights on either side of the subject, and bleeding through the frame.
Not quite sure I get what you mean, can you elaborate further?
Looks like a 50/50 split, so I'm not overly taken by the lighting. Bare tube fine, probably needs a reflector for the center of chest area in #1.
Pretty much exactly a 50/50; the only difference is the slight variation of the barn doors. Do you think an un-even ratio would improve things? I tried adding some fill but it lost the look that I had in mind with the reduced contrast.

Good point, and that's one of things that Jason told me about when we were discussing this. It seems that in the past most of the shots have been the same pose (more or less) for everyone, and they'd like more individuality.

General pose thoughts.

Quarterback = drop back or pass pose.
Running backs = Everyone has to do the Heisman pose. Do variations of it.
Receivers = Jumping arms extended ball in hands.
Offensive linemen = 3 point stance. Center with ball in stance.
Defensive lineman = 2 or 3 point stance
Defensive backs and linebackers = basic mean look.
Punter = arms out holding ball in punt pose
Kicker = Ball teed up standing at ball leg back in kicking pose.

Helmets on or off depending on you lighting. Always want a good face shot. And always get a shot or two like you posted. They don't all have to be action poses. Team pose. Full gear helmet in hand or on ground in front of front row.

Do you think an un-even ratio would improve things?
I'm sure it's not easy while in the moment, but yes, uneven lighting would probably help. What would it look like with a bare bulb key light and a bit of fill from another light?

General pose thoughts.

Helmets on or off depending on you lighting. Always want a good face shot. And always get a shot or two like you posted. They don't all have to be action poses. Team pose. Full gear helmet in hand or on ground in front of front row.
Awesome, thanks! Ummm... d'ya have a link to Google Translate's English-Feetsball/Feetsball-English module?

General pose thoughts.

Awesome, thanks! Ummm... d'ya have a link to Google Translate's English-Feetsball/Feetsball-English module?
Sorry, this is the closest I have. Football For Dummies (USA Edition) Cheat Sheet - For Dummies

Do you think an un-even ratio would improve things?
I'm sure it's not easy while in the moment, but yes, uneven lighting would probably help. What would it look like with a bare bulb key light and a bit of fill from another light?
Dunno... but I'm going to put it on the list of 'Got to try'. Thanks! :)

When you do the outdoor shots don't forget to take the lights with you.

I like the 1st one.
Just an idea, Have you considered experimenting with lowering the camera tripod , shooting more upward so the player looks larger?
Nicely done!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back