Are lenses compatible with camera upgrade?

kerry1369

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all,

I have a Nikon D40X. It is my first dSLR and I love it. I have the kit lens (18-55mm) and the Nikkor 55-200mm VR lens. I am saving up for another len but I got to thinking-in the future when I upgrade cameras, can the lenses I use on the D40X (with the autofocusing in the lenses) work on better cameras that have the focusing features in the camera body? I don't want to invest a lot of money in lenses that I won't ever be able to use if I upgrade.

Thank in advance for the help!

Kerry

simply put, yes if you buy another nikon camera the lenses will fit.

AF-S lenses are great in my opinion. Its just a darn shame all lenses arent SWM equipped.

bdavison-What is SWM equipped?

SWM means "Silent Wave Motor", the name for the autofocus motor which is built in to AF-S lenses. Older Nikon lenses had a mechanical coupling which allowed the camera itself to drive the autofocus on lenses -- but newer AF-S lenses don't need that motor. So, your D40x doesn't have that autofocus coupling at all, which means it can't use older lenses. However, AF-S lenses will work on ANY current or future Nikon.

There is one issue you might run in to however -- your lenses are "DX" format, which means that they are designed to work with the smaller sensor of the D40x (and many other Nikon DSLRs). If you make a big upgrade to a "full frame" DSLR, such as the D700, D3, or some future DSLR that uses a bigger sensor, your lenses will work, but will not take full advantage of the bigger sensor. This is unfortunate, but not a deal-breaker in my opinion.

If someone is upgrading to a top of the line camera, something tells me they are going to either ditch the "low rent" lenses they have, or their collection will have acquired FX-compatible lenses.

Thanks dcclark for the info!
ANDS!-oh, I can dream!!! Top of the line would be heavenly but unless I start making money, and a lot of it, off of my pictures-top of the line is sadly out of reach! Thankfully, I am still newbie enough to this hobby that I don't know what I am missing :)

Thanks dcclark for the info!
ANDS!-oh, I can dream!!! Top of the line would be heavenly but unless I start making money, and a lot of it, off of my pictures-top of the line is sadly out of reach! Thankfully, I am still newbie enough to this hobby that I don't know what I am missing :)

Can grab a D200 for around 600 or less these days. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably grab that over a D300/D3 and spend the rest of other gadgets. Live and learn, live and learn.

Most reactions

Back