Are lomography camereas good?

They are not supposed to be good, They are bad, that's why they are good

They are very bad in a very expensive not good sort of way.

See my thread a few down from this one about the kit camera. That is the kind of quality you can expect.

Depends, personally I made my first exposition with a Holga, but I wanted the "non-perfect" photographs intentionally. Now I am working with a LOMO-LC A, not the one from the Lomography ( a originall Russian one) . But one thing is for sure , you will not obtain those beautiful colored x-processed photographs you must do it in the lab ( wich at least for me it's expensive) or make an hybrid ( scan the film and then process it digitally ), and another very important thing you must know and have practiced a lot with film in order to "understand" this cameras. It's a good challenge though !

Most of their cameras are way overpriced. And they're sort of "crappy on purpose".

I plan on buying that kit camera since it's only $10 and it looks really fun. Most of their other stuff looks like it would be fun too, but I'm not paying $200 (or more - they seem to range from $100 to $400, which is completely insane) for a toy camera...

The advantage of lomos is that all you need to do is pt film in them, press the shutter and develop, and all your images will be suitable works of art. They're really pretty amazing.

The advantage of lomos is that all you need to do is pt film in them, press the shutter and develop, and all your images will be suitable works of art. They're really pretty amazing.

I'm assuming that the irony is intended?

I've got the original releases of the Smena 8M and the Lubitel 166b. As has been said, what is called a 'good' picture depends on what you want to get out of it.

I took these photos with the Smena using some cheap Kodak colour film, the kind you'd probably find in most lomo cameras. It's been scanned using a Hasselblad X1 and lightly edited in Lightroom, it's not changed too much from the original scan. As you'd expect from such a camera most shooting is guesswork, guess the focus, guess the framing and do the best you can with the Sunny 16 rule.

grange-2.jpg

grange.jpg

I like this look when you want a bit of fun so I do think it looks 'good'. If I was serious then I'd stick to Provia, not 24 exposures for £1!

If you're really into Lomography for that look then I've got some that didn't turn out quite as good.

6348601774_5e6face290_m.jpg

Look at all the light leak and I've even included the sprocket holes! How Lomo!

As for the Lubitel, I did put a roll of Provia through that with unexpectedly good results. I haven't had the opportunity to scan them but they looked fine on the lightbox, the focus may have been off on a few but overall they looked great. No light leak but one accidental double exposure!

I'd recommend them for the fun value, my tutors loved them, but forget about using them seriously.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm just a lurker, too new and too timid to jump into anything yet, but wanted to throw in my $.02...

My girlfriend has a cute littel Diana clone in some cool color that she loves. Have a few rolls of 120 film yet to be developed, but she got the instant back for it and we have a blast with it. With the film I've found, each image comes out to just under a buck when it's exposed hahahha, but they are worth it big time. It's a total hipster camera, it's kind of silly to think that money was spent on this thin plastic, image blurring tool, but it is also quite a blast at the same time. We have a lot of fun with it with our friends, and some of my favorite pictures of us are just when the camera was grabbed at random when we are goofing off laying around the apartment and snap some silly shot of us.

Anyway, really fun little cameras. Worth the price tag to us for what we use it for, but it's up to you whether it's worth it or not. Google images shot by those cameras and decide if that's what your eye likes or not.

A friend of mine recently got one, and she loves it. Then again, she bought it for the intent of taking it with her everywhere she goes and shooting almost everything in sight. She has the LA Sardina. I think the best way to sum it up is a camera to specifically have fun with. I think the photos come out pretty cool though! Then again, I'm a newb. I think everything looks cool :lmao:

I took these photos with the Smena using some cheap Kodak colour film, the kind you'd probably find in most lomo cameras. It's been scanned using a Hasselblad X1

LOL. That's awesome. You scanned images from a $13 camera on a $13,000 scanner!

Most reactions

Back