Are most photographers snobs?

• Frustration at not being able to communicate.
    • Fear of being found incompetent.
    • Small weenie?

All three things quite common with Novices too.
Plus, in Germany, you find many Novices in disguise with superb gear. And they are the worst snobs ;)

What is it that makes one look down on a novice when every one began at the same place? The bottom.

I only look down on those novices who are resistant to advice, who think they do not need to learn but just buy a better camera, and those novices who laugh at me when I spend 30 minutes for one shot (waiting for the right light, clouds, tourists to leave the scene).

Is the industry that jam-packed and no one wants to make room for another photographer?
Sometimes it might be fear. The last wedding I attended of course I brought my camera with me. And the moment the pro wedding photographer saw me he got very scared.

But mostly looking down stems from inflated egos I think.

How does one decide who’s worthy?
Compare yourself to others (your photographs with theirs), ask yourself what you want to achieve, what are your goals and how far you got with them, and then judge by yourself.

Now, my question for how one decides who's worthy, I got a response for that but I was thinking more along the lines of “popularity.” I've seen images from people who are not famous. The imagery is captivating just breathtaking. Then there are other’s who’s um…mmmm… images ah look like garbage (said in a French accent). Now my eyes are new to the photography world. But I bet even if it wasn’t it would still look like trash. I know how it works in the painting and sculpting world but I would think photography would be different. Is it still all about who knows you and whom you know? Don’t hold back if you understand where I’m coming from.

Maybe some of those where you think their photography is not special, maybe it is just not your taste? Maybe they try to express things you do not like or you do not care about. So again ask yourself, what is their goal? Did they achieve it? That way you might get a bit more objective about their work and see that it is special in the end, even though you might not like it, or even think it is boring.

But you are also right, that today it is also about being in the right place at the right time, knowing the right people. Some at least locally famous photographers are simply pushed by their influential friends/supporters. Unfortunately some people with money to support arts, do not know a damn thing about arts and simply have no eye for anything.

Last edited:
Your story is quite sad, but I would not make the full frame responsible. I as a 5D shooter am often confronted by Nikon-shooters, quite aggressively. Even on the streets, total strangers. Usually I try to ignore them. Same at work, the small group of people liking photography, thinking about composition and all, are shooting Canon, whereas the gearheads mainly shoot Nikon.

So I have to ask "Are all Nikon owners totally unlikeable ****ers?" :lmao: Got my point? ;) Not making this up ...

So that's the answer then! Buy Olympus, Pentax, Sigma, Contax, Sony, Fuji, or Minolta and everyone will just leave you alone. :D

You'll have a better camera for the money too! :D

Either that or just rub off the brand name and tell everyone it's home made. :lmao:

Please answer honestly your opinion. :hugs: To all the kind ones.

What is it that makes one look down on a novice when every one began at the same place? The bottom.

Is the industry that jam-packed and no one wants to make room for another photographer?

How does one decide who’s worthy?

Yes dear, they are ALL snobs...
They forget their humble roots - when they first acquired a camera - when their shoots came out crappy... and they din't know what the ell they were doing... and their pics were too dark - too bright...
They forget that...
They zoom-in on how great they think they are now.
Adobe is their saviour...
Hail Adobe...:hail:
You see posts that say "every digital image needs to be PP'd"...
Bullsh*t...!!!
Find the light - shoot it...
Technique is it...
Jedo

Jedo, do you shoot a digital camera?

The best answer to the OP's question was in the very first response, by skieur. He nails it with this observation- "Why should dedicated pros and enthusiasts tolerate what often amounts to laziness, lack of effort to learn, and arrogant stupidity by a growing number of newbies that express those traits?skieur"

He pretty much summed it up as to why a lot of seasoned photographers have a real, personal disdain for newbies.

Sometimes it might be fear. The last wedding I attended of course I brought my camera with me. And the moment the pro wedding photographer saw me he got very scared.

At a buddy's wedding a few months ago, I had an experience like this. I was making a point of staying out of the Official Photographer's way by staying out of his sight-lines, not shooting over his shoulder, and definitely not getting in his shots. While they were doing the posed photos outside of the church after the ceremony, I left to go take pictures of the riverfront. As far as I was concerned that was his time that he was being paid for. At the reception I stayed on the fringes to be sure I stayed out of his (and his assistant's) way.

He had a major issue with me, though. During the ceremony, he swung by and whispered in my ear that the priest had asked for no flashes so I turned mine off. A few minutes later I looked over and noticed that he and his assistant were both popping off with their flashes. During the reception, for the organized events like cutting the cake, first dance, etc... there were several times that he moved from his better vantage point and purposefully came and stood RIGHT in front of me. I was making a point of standing away from these things with a longer lens to make sure I didn't intrude on the moment or on the Official Photographer and his assistant.

I chalk it up to a bit of insecurity on his part. I'm a rank amateur with a more camera than I can competently use at this point. I was being conscientious about the fact that I was NOT the Official Photographer and that I should not mess with this man's living.

Oh well... there are insecure a$$hats in every profession/hobby.

See, there's a couple of things that just seem all wrong to me about that. If it were my wedding my guests come first. The photog is PAID to stay out of THEIR way except for the posed shots and even then. And the priest giving orders about MY WEDDING?? He's fired! ;) Same with the photog... if he can't behave I wouldn't mind stepping over during the ceremony even, and asking him to shape up or take a hike. My guests would be MUCH more important to me than "having" pictures. :-/

Have weddings that are supposed to be all about sharing joy and excitement with your friends and family, really become so commercial?

If it were my wedding I would expect that ear-whisper to have been a word of encouragement, the sharing of a tip, or a compliment of some kind. Likewise if I were the the man on the job I would (and did for the weddings I did in ancient times) keep all those things in mind. I can't believe someone showed up to a wedding and then acted like that?!?!?!

I know how it works in the painting and sculpting world but I would think photography would be different.

Why? Art business is Art business. Capital A Art is high falootin', big money Art and has everything to do with networking, promotion, celebrity, trends, cliques, etc... Little a art is part of the human condition, and goes on with or without money or fame.

I'm just someone who likes photography but I'm very observant and I get the feeling that people become a little agitated when another photographer is added to the pool. I'm not a photographer I'm just a girl with a camera. I enjoy it that’s all.

Your complaint (if that's what it is?) is too vague. Who is being snobbish to you, and what are the circumstances? Photographers are people. Some people are jerks. Some people are jerks in certain situations. Some folks aren't jerks at all, but may seem like it in certain situations.

I find that when communicating through typed monologues (such as photo forums) lack of voice inflection, facial expressions, and hand motions can make the conversation seem much more terse than it would be in person. :)

If you are wondering why your local pros aren't interested in taking you on please consider that even a lowly hack such as myself gets a dozen emails/phone calls every month from people who want to be my assistant. Most can't even pass my are-you-gonna-get-an-interview interview. Being a decent photographer does not mean they are going to be a decent photographer's assistant. I'm not trying to be snobby, I'm just really busy, and I've already got all the assistance I need (and can afford) right now.

Check out your local photography groups. I'm sure there are some nasty ones, but every one I've participated in has been friendly and helpful. My local group has members ranging in skill level from pros to folks who bought their 1st camera yesterday. Sure, occasionally there's some good natured film vs. digital ribbing, or "my camera is bigger than your camera", but everyone knows that stuff is silly. We have fun, and learn from each other.

I consider myself a bit snobby to people involved in skateboard photography to be perfectly honest. Almost all kids that are just deciding they want to shoot pictures don't know much about it and think that all there is to shooting is slapping a 10.5 on your camera with a flash sandwich and framing the person in the sky because that's what they see in magazines. It drives me nuts to hear kids asking me why I never bring my fish, when that's really my last resort for when we go out and I know I'm not going to get a better composition.

It's hard to explain to people who aren't familiar with the sport, but basically, anyone who's new thinks that every picture should be one of these:
20071120_monterey002.jpg

When any experienced skate photographer would rather see a loose, longer lens comp. than another boring stock angle. More along the lines of this:
IMG_0027copysmallnew.jpg

I hope that made sense because it was hard to explain

Last edited:
Noobs are fun.

I like to help noobs.

But one thread some one was looking between a d80 and an xsi. There were a lot of photographers (experienced / semi- experienced) telling the person (who wanted to do sports) that they should looks at a new 30D (cheaper than either of the two they were looking at), a D200, 20D, etc.... Something that made sense so the noob wasn't going to ended up coming back and asking "why do my pictures suck" when he was shooting soccer with a D80 and 50mm f/1.8.

One person, who seemed new to photography themselves, came into the thread and said something along the lines of "I went to the store and held the d80 and xsi. I bought the d80 without hesitation and will never have to buy another camera again". The next post was the OP quoting that person and saying "D80 it is" and basically ignoring all the advice that was being dished out.

That makes you want to smack a noob.

running around all whacked on the nooby smacks?

Most reactions

Back