Are most photographers snobs?

Oh I'm so sorry. Please allow me to provide you with a comprehensive list of links to my photos on this forum, for you to view at your conveniece.

What was that you were saying about not being lazy?

I’m not interested in your balls. Hence I wish not to see your images. I am however interested in the stallion that lies between your thighs. That is now my interest… The TOOL is all I’m interested in. I’m never lazy when it comes to nudes believe me. So don’t be shy… link please?

snobs? go to a camera show and see for yourself.....some of the most uptight, anal retentive snoots ive ever seen......they actually stroke and pet their Leica like it was a persian cat or something and they snarl like an angry chihuahua if you get close to their beloved equipment.

To answer the original post, yes there are a lot of snobs in photography... there are far more snobs in "internet" photography than in real life.

There are also a lot of snobs in nearly every hobby, it is part of human nature.

It reminds me of something that happened a couple weeks ago. I was at a zoo playing with my new Kodak Z712IS point & shoot, and I saw somebody with a tripod, a D300 and a 70-200 f/2.8 VR lens (identical to the equipment I had in the trunk of my own car in the parking lot, except the tripod which are STUPID things to use at a crowded zoo on a sunday).

I stood next to the guy and out of curiosity I watched him muck around with his camera trying to get a shot of a bird sitting perfectly still... I could tell by the angle he was using, by the aperture and shutter speed on his info display that he didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground... he sees me looking and with this totally pretentious tone he tells me that his camera and lens cost $5 grand (they don't) and that his pictures are going to look "so much better" than my "junky point & shoot."

What a total dweeb.

Funny story.:lol:

I have met my fair share of snobs in photography. They are usually the Im special and artistic types. I have nodded my head to some as I pass and, when they wont even acknowledge that my middle finger is used next. I dont tolerate arrogant people well. But then I have had people say Im too freindly, whatever the hell that means.

You are friendly but that's a good thing. You don't close yourself off from people. You’re a people person and that's just from having a few chats with you.

05_PICT9810.jpg

Love the image. It's hard to say all photographers are snobs. That's why I said "most" I don't want to put everyone in the same circle. I was always taught to treat people how you would like to be treated. I still treat people with kindness even if they’re rude. Oh well! Thanks for all you help also since I've been here.

snobs? go to a camera show and see for yourself.....some of the most uptight, anal retentive snoots ive ever seen......they actually stroke and pet their Leica like it was a persian cat or something and they snarl like an angry chihuahua if you get close to their beloved equipment.

:lmao:

Says the japanese guy.

OWNED!! Ha-ha that was funny.
I try to help some people but I will only give basic advice or what I think should be common knowledge. More advance type of advice and tips I will only share with a select few people that works under me. I have been a snob and will be if the person pisses me off. Some people may think I come off alittle harsh sometimes but im usually just being honest about their work, too many people sugar coat critiques.

Please don't bring Leica shooters into this discussion.... I take offense to that... I took a very very very long time and two jobs to afford my Leica. I gave up the idea of owning a fancy car for the pleasure of shooting with a Leica. I gave up the idea of owning (at least in the U.S.) anything (car, cloths, plasma tv, etc) that are easily recognizable as a status symbol. As far as I know, there are less than 10 people on the TPF that shoot with Leica... none of which have shown any sign of snobbery. Most the snobs of Leica years past have pretty much moved on to those fancy DSLRs... they do exist but not to the extent you might expect. Years ago, I would agree.. but thats just old generalized thought ....

I actually see more snobbery from high end Canon (which I also use) and Nikon shooters as they try to be like the pros they see in the media. I get approached a lot more when holding a 1 series than a Leica. Most no longer take notice as they just plain can't understand why anyone would use a camera in this day and age that has no fancy metering nor autofocus.

(and the other hand... It is also a sign of Leica loosing presence in market... bummer)

Last edited:
Leica had a presence?

:lmao:

I Don't know. I see a lot of talk about snobs. I don't seem run into the snobs very often. Maybe it's just my appearance. I look like a hard -ass (although I'm not) shaved head, mustache, goatee, 33 tattoos. Photographers are always friendly & speak to me.

All the Farm aid concerts & events I have shot with other photographers I can't remember 1 time where anybody was snobby to me. Quite the opposite Actually. Just lucky I guess LOL.

I Don't know. I see a lot of talk about snobs. I don't seem run into the snobs very often. Maybe it's just my appearance. I look like a hard -ass (although I'm not) shaved head, mustache, goatee, 33 tattoos. Photographers are always friendly & speak to me.

... I have shot with other photographers I can't remember 1 time where anybody was snobby to me. Quite the opposite Actually. Just lucky I guess LOL.

This has pretty much been my experience. There was one time many years ago I ran into someone I initially thought was snobish. On reflection I realized I was expecting something for nothing--A pouring of knowledge while light was changing fast. No time for chatting. How embarrassing to me!

I've learned that when I work, keep conversations and socializing short and sweet. It's about shooting, not about how much you can suck.

Much more so now than ever.

Why?

Because there are so many "photographers" since the digital age that many feel the need to set them apart as "better" than everyone else.

Back in film days, photography was a bit of a hassle. Cost of film. Time effort to develope. Time effort to print. >>NO INSTANT GRATIFICATION<<. As such, only the people whose interest in photography outweighed the "hassle" stuck around long enough to consider themselves photographers. The "population" was smaller more selective and a larger percentage were truly passionate and could care less about snobbery.... it still existed but to a lesser extent

The big push for digital in marketing also didn't help.... so much focus on what the equipment can do and not what it can enable a photographer to accomplish.

Now I"m not saying this is a bad thing.. I think the sudden climb of interest in photography is great and digital technology is a direct result. I like it when people stop me to ask questions for the sake of learning. You gotta take the good and bad together.

That's just my observation...
Well said.

Owning and using a camera by definition makes one a photographer. That being said, there seems to be a large and growing segment of "PHOTOGRAPHERS" who think that buying a new tech camera makes one a "SKILLED PHOTOGRAPHER" and those IMHO are the true snobs in that they mistake hardware for talent.

I have a friend who wanted to be able to take photos they could enlarge and hang on the wall. My rig at the time was an F4s and a N8008s as a backup.

I suggested they buy a used FM or new FM10 and read a few photography books of take a class and I would be glad to take them on a few shoots or go with them to help them learn.

They bought a N8008s and some cheap glass. When they didn't immediately get the results they wanted they bought a Leica M7 RF and several good lenses. When they couldn't figure out how it worked they bought a new D70.

Easily $10K invested and doesn't understand how aperture and shutter speed relate to each other.

If you meet him and photography comes up his first sentence is "I HAVE A LEICA!"

LWW

Most reactions

Back