Are my subjects too blurred?

becmaclean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been doing photography for our towns' youth leagues and was looking for some feedback. I liked this but somethings not quite right. This is not photoshopped as of yet...Thank you :lovey:
soccersalem026.jpg

Not to me action shots are better if they aren't dead sharp in my opnion. These seem reasonably sharp to me.

However that said you might try a smaller aperture if possible. Your depth of field is short and the focus will shift a lot on action shots. I know shutter speed is a high priority but you cant overlook what it does to the aperture either.

For my taste depth of field is ok with this one ... also it does not really seem blurred (at least not the two boys which apparently are the main subject of the image).

The only thing which gives it a hazy/blurry look is the contrast in light. This especially is true for the face of the left boy. The right boy overall is too much in the shade, so you lose some detail on first sight.

But then again , there is not much you could have done about it while shooting ;) Maybe in postprocessing you could try to slightly damp the highlights and brighten the shade on the other boy. But don't overdo it. I think it is a nice shot anyway.

one could rethink the crop ...

I agree with Alex. I would make the crop tighter and lose alot off the sides and perhaps some of the grass in front.
Other than it's a great action shot.

I think cropping would help, too centered. My opinion is take out the grass almost to the ball then either go from the hooded guy to the edge of the building or from behind the kid to almost the edge of your shot. Move action off center.

When I looked at this photo, I see that your main subject (the boys) are in focus. Thats what you want in this type of photo. I think you did good. I still have a hard time getting a sharp action shot!

Thank you all for your feedback:hug::

I did a tighter crop w/ just the boys and some grass.

I lightened both of their faces and the shot looks good...

Thank you!!

Most reactions

Back