Are people going for imsge quality more then actual photographic skills?

then actually discussing about actual photographic skills (example : actual photos and/or skill development).

Actually, sometimes beginners get lucky with a photograph that sings arias, but that is rare. On the way to developing technical skills, they will hopefully learn what makes a good photograph and how to get more good ones.

Do you have any idea what you're saying? taking a picture doesn't make you an artist; taking a picture is a technical skill. I see a lot of people that don't know how to take a picture, claim their work is art, to make up for the lack of skill.

Well said ...

To answer the OP's question, I think we have to look at one particular group: Moms with a Camera, AKA MWACs. They invest in an expensive DSLR because it's expensive and looks fancy, then... never get it out of full auto mode. Oh, and they tend to drive large SUVs, can't park, and don't bother attending to their screaming children because they're too busy socializing.

Sorry, almost got run over by one of these types in a grocery store parking lot yesterday. So yeah, I'm a bit bitter about them.

Braineack: Brilliant.

To answer the OP's question, I think we have to look at one particular group: Moms with a Camera, AKA MWACs. They invest in an expensive DSLR because it's expensive and looks fancy, then... never get it out of full auto mode. Oh, and they tend to drive large SUVs, can't park, and don't bother attending to their screaming children because they're too busy socializing.

Sorry, almost got run over by one of these types in a grocery store parking lot yesterday. So yeah, I'm a bit bitter about them.

Braineack: Brilliant.

sounds just like my wife. And she will park the suv anywhere could care less if it is in the way, in someone elses way, in front of a no parking sign, in a fire lane. Blocked a entrance while i was with her last week and a guy came out and asked her why she parked there, in which she decided to tell him off. she will be talking while my sons tossing things out the window at cars driving by. And the camera doesn't leave auto.

I'm not so sure if you guys noticed this other phenomena. I do hear or read a lot in some forums of peeps discussing about the latest Nikon D4s or other new super razor sharp lenses and spilling info on who made the sensors or who is better at making the sensors or which sensor is more superior. However, rarely and barely do I see the peeps discussing photography as an art by itself. Snapping a picture requires some minimal technical skills. Knowing how sensors, noise, auto ISOs and vibration stabilization works help you in taking a properly exposed sharp picture or probably shows you are knowledgeable in that area.

However I feel shooting amazing photos consistently is an art form and you don't need the best cameras or sharpest lenses. The skill and experience developed over time as a result of passion. Bearing in mind most of the greatest photographers came from the film era... just my opinion.

Would be really nice if people discussed more about the Rembrandt triangle then the technology that makes the finest genetically modified horse or hog's hair that's uniformly 0.1mm in diameter and nano coated with the latest paint anti-drip technology brushes. Again, in my opinion and observation that's the difference in discussion topics when I visit photo clubs and art societies :))

sounds just like my wife. And she will park the suv anywhere could care less if it is in the way, in someone elses way, in front of a no parking sign, in a fire lane. Blocked a entrance while i was with her last week and a guy came out and asked her why she parked there, in which she decided to tell him off. she will be talking while my sons tossing things out the window at cars driving by. And the camera doesn't leave auto.

Hahaha to bribrius & minicoop that was really funny :D

Hahaha to bribrius & minicoop that was really funny :D

Sorry, guys, this sounds like ridiculous sexist crap and insulting both to women, our wives and the women on this forum.
I don't understand makes people think that they can expose their bigotries on the Internet and not be seen as they are.

It's not funny - and if you are married to people like this, you deserve each other and I hope you don't reproduce.

Actually, Lew, it's not based on sexism, really. I should have clarified that there's a male version of this too, but for the males, the parking issues seem to be relating to machismo and forcing others to bend to their will more than a lack of caring. Unless they drive a Lexus, then it's an overinflated sense of importance. And with the camera, it's just Dad with a Camera-same thing, other than gender. These aren't stereotypes gleaned from time online, these are observations based on real world experience-most people seem to not care about anyone but themselves and anything but convenience.

For the record, Lew, that was a weee bit over the top. Take it down a notch there, chief. My wife doesn't park like that. She drives... what else... a Mini. It's impossible to take up half a space in that thing. And just for the sole purpose of this thread happening, I have a two year old. I knew in advance I'd be told by you not to reproduce, so I did in advance.

Sorry, guys, this sounds like ridiculous sexist crap and insulting both to women, our wives and the women on this forum.
I don't understand makes people think that they can expose their bigotries on the Internet and not be seen as they are.

It's not funny - and if you are married to people like this, you deserve each other and I hope you don't reproduce.
She is standing over your shoulder as you typed this? :wink:

dqqz.jpg
Artists actually discuss brushes all the time.

I assume whomever wrote that shoots with a 0.4MP point-and-shoot? No?

I guess the claim is it only comes down to the final image. Not how it was taken. But i totally disagree with that mentality. How something is made, is crucial in my opinion.

Ideologically, sure.

Realistically, though, the image is what matters. When I'm hired by a client, they could pretty much care less how I go about creating an image. What they want to know is, when I present the image to them, they're happy.

That's it.

They could care less whether or not I used fancy lighting and this lens or that mode. They care about one thing: The image.

Period...

I think it's just easier to discuss gear than something subjective like composition so it happens more.

I got good results with a kit lens when that's what I was using, but I left it in f/8 most of the time to be able to do that. Kind of cramped my creativity, so I invested in better stuff.

One of the problems about discussing "actual photographic skills" is that these skills vary, tremendously, from person to person, and the skills themselves vary with the type of photography being done. Focus stacking for example, is a very new technique in photography, and some people have great skill with focus stacking, while other people have no use for it, and literally ZERO skill in that area. Cameras, and lenses and other equipment by contrast, can be "shared" by every person who shoots or owns the equipment. Because equipment in inanimate, and mass-produced, and is basically "the exact same thing, no matter who uses or buys it", it's very easy to discuss equipment.

A Canon 5D Mark III is a Canon 5D Mark III. It's a specific, defined, finite "thing", and many tens of thousands or hundreds of thousand of people will own and possess one, and will want to talk about it. Photographic skill on the other hand is a huge field, with many,many different "parts", and NO TWO PEOPLE SHARE the same,exact photographic skill set, so it's often difficult to generate much discussion across a broad range of widely-differing people.

The technical side of photography is a basis of where to start, but a simple image can transform to something much more.
Sometimes a photograph can show something others are not ]able to see...even the photographer.
I think people can talk about the details till the sun goes down, but in the end, if one person likes the shot,(other than your mother) it is successful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back