Are people going for imsge quality more then actual photographic skills?

What is the point trying to be made here?

The point trying to be made is that the technical stuff is not the end, not the important stuff and someone who wants to create art should get that technical expertise in and packed away quickly and then forget about it.
For me, the point of creating -or attempting to create - is not to exercise a technical skill.

What is the point trying to be made here?

The point trying to be made is that the technical stuff is not the end, not the important stuff and someone who wants to create art should get that technical expertise in and packed away quickly and then forget about it.
For me, the point of creating -or attempting to create - is not to exercise a technical skill.

I get where you're coming from but I disagree with the wording.

You make it sound like the technical side is simply a case of a few tick-box lessons which can then be forgotten. Where as in actuality it depends greatly on what you want to do. Some creative endeavours require very creative and complex technical setup to achieve - whilst many others rely upon a good solid understanding of the technical at the forefront of the mind to pull off.

I do agree that as one gains more experience the general technical operation of the camera and other equipment becomes more and more instinctive - but in the same vein so to is the creative use of those tools and subjects.

Further remember that most people learning; unless they are learning for a technical exercise or product output are going to learn both at the same time. Weighting first toward technical and then toward artistic (at least in the normal course of things). Indeed a lack of technical reminders and reinforcement can mean that you end up going backwards - you pick up enough lazy habits and forget a few key steps that you end up too focused on the art and then forgetting how to operate the machine.

On the other side of that coin....
Simply shooting and calling it "art" without the technical knowledge and ability to produce a photo with correct exposure, WB, color, and composition seems equally wrong. One cannot "break the rules" if they do not know the rules.

I think, just from a personal perspective, that you need both to be successful as an artist. You are a perfect example of that Lew. You consider yourself an artist, and hold "art" above "technical skill"....Yet, you yourself are skilled in proper composition, WB, color, and the other technical aspects of photography.

The proof of my theory is in the quality of your final products Lew.

taking a picture doesn't make you an artist; taking a picture is a technical skill. I see a lot of people that don't know how to take a picture, claim their work is art, to make up for the lack of skill.

Every thing I produce is art.

Because I'm an artist...

:lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back