Are softboxes for speedlights reusable with strobes

personalt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Currently I have 2 soft-boxes that I use with my speedlights. They have a mount that holds my speedlight and a ring which the softbox slides over. I am looking to purchase a strip softbox soon and then maybe purchase a basic strobe like one of the adorama flashpoint models in the near future.

I am wondering if I should be able to expect to be able to buy a softbox today that will work with both my current speedlight adapter/ring and the flashpoint(or other brand of basic strobe). Do most softboxes have this 'friction mount' where it attaches to the ring without hardware

I have a softbox setup similar to this one now...
View attachment 70104

Last edited by a moderator:
Not normally; you need a specific speedring to attach your soft-box to your strobe, and these are brand-specific. Yours appears to be either a Lastolite or Lastolite clone and is not designed for use with monolights. You could bodge it together if you needed to, but it's not designed for that.

The ring on the back of a softbox is called the 'speed ring. Most softboxes, especially the larger ones, have a frame that is attached to the speed ring (where as this one is just a 'friction mount' as you called it).

The way that a softbox attaches to a studio strobe, is also via the speed ring...and because of this, you usually have to buy matching lights & boxes. They don't always have to be the same brand, but you'll want to buy boxes with speed rings that are made to work with the type of mounting system on your strobe.

I don't know if the speed ring on the boxes you have now, will work with strobes....I want to say that they might work with some, but I can't say for sure.

Of course, with a bit of ingenuity, someone could probably make just about anything work. The concept of mounting a hotshoe flash behind a soft box is pretty simple, you just need a bracket that holds the speed ring and has an L shape. I've seen some home made versions.

There may also be ways to adapt on type of speed ring (or softbox) to another type/brand of rings or lights. It may not be easy or pretty, but I'm sure it's been tried.

I often use cheap e-Bay softboxes with my classic Chimera brand speed rings from the 1990's. Chimera speed rings have 4 holes, one at each corner, for the rods.

The one in the picture looks like it could work with a balcar mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Westcott Apollo line are compatible with just about everything, though you do have to take the diffuser off if you need to access the light. There are also umbrella softboxes that work with anything with an umbrella mount as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back