Are These Artifacts Of Some Sort? How to Solve This?

Bingo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Howdy. Haven't posted in a while - I'm really trying to start focusing again and shooting and upping my skillset.

I'm using an older Rebel XT. Mostly shoot with a 50mm 1.4. I do primarily live music and nature photography. I've been shooting for a few years now and I'm just about at the point where I'm ready to start learning advanced skills to get my shots to the next level.

Recently, I've started noticing some really odd problems with some of my shots. I never had this issue come up before which seems weird. My gut reaction is that what I'm seeing are some sort of digital or light artifacts but if so - why hasn't it come up before since I shoot in mostly the same types of conditions?

This may even be 2 seperate issues, I don't know.

Example one shows the most common problem - little green dots showing up. It seems like maybe these are coming from over-exposed lights? If that's the case how do I overcome that?

Example 2 shows the most unusual problem (Which again may be the same thing). This shot is of a digital signboard on a sheer brick wall. I pumped up the exposure to make it more noticeable but you can clearly see a perfect inverted reflection of the board at the bottom of the shot. Again, if this is an artifact how do I overcome it?

If it's a physical problem with the body or lens, any ideas? If it's artifacts, any ideas on why I haven't seen this until recently?

Thanks for any suggestions or input. And as always, thanks for being such a fantastic general resource. I've learned SO much just lurking here over the years!

Example 1:

artifacts.jpg

Example 2:

zappaween.jpg

Bingo

Take off your UV filter... and throw it away! :) I suspect that will fix this....

Looks like the lights are reflecting off the front of the lens onto the back of a filter you have attached to your lens. Lights get in there and bounce around causing this type of effect. Just take off the filter. I bet it goes away.

Looks like the lights are reflecting off the front of the lens onto the back of a filter you have attached to your lens. Lights get in there and bounce around causing this type of effect. Just take off the filter. I bet it goes away.

Copycat!!! :p lol!

Ha! I hadn't even thought about that. Threw a filter on when I got the 50mm 1.4 to protect the lens as much as anything.

I'll take it off. Any suggestions on something to replace it as a cheap lens protector?

Thank you so much for picking up on that!

I've got a metal hood on my 50 with no filter. Works fine for me.

Ha! I hadn't even thought about that. Threw a filter on when I got the 50mm 1.4 to protect the lens as much as anything.

I'll take it off. Any suggestions on something to replace it as a cheap lens protector?

Thank you so much for picking up on that!

Just have your hood on it whenever you are using it.. does great! Just like greybeard said!

Last edited:
Don't worry about it. Just cap the lens when you're not using it. It really takes a lot to scratch a lens surface.

I used to put UV filters on my lenses too. I figured I could take a slight decrease in image quality to protect my investment.

The other school of thought is: "Don't put cheap glass in front of expensive glass." This is how I feel now.

If you do have, or are willing to buy a hood for your lens, keep in mind that you may get shadows from it if you ever use the on-board flash.

I don't even use lens caps most of the time...

Must be my background in photojournalism. :)

Use a cheap filter, drop the camera, smash the filter and watch the damage the shards of broken glass will do to your lens......

Use a tens hood. It will protect the lens and improve the quality of the image

The other school of thought is: "Don't put cheap glass in front of expensive glass." This is how I feel now.

I totally agree with this. But cheap filters are not the only ones that exist. I often shoot in active kitchens, and outside windy conditions, and plenty of other places where schmutz gets on my lens. So, in these conditions I'd rather it get on a filter, makes things simpler for me. I don't like the idea of rubbing a front element clean every day for years.

So, if you use nice filters (meaning multicoated glass up to the same specs (or better) as your lens), you won't end up with any of the ghosting and flare and stuff that's common of cheap filters.

Depending on what you shoot, it's either worth it or not. But everyone's right, chances are the front element can take it anyway. I personally would rather mess up and then clean up a $100 product instead of a $1800 product or whatever it might be.

Some great ideas here. Thank you indeed. Much food for thought.

I've thought about getting a good lens hood already. Not sure how much it would help in the kind of lighting I'll be seeing in concert settings, though it would certainly be intriguing to play with.

You are all spot on though, I picked up a cheap UV filter when I bought the 50mm 1.4!

Some great ideas here. Thank you indeed. Much food for thought.

I've thought about getting a good lens hood already. Not sure how much it would help in the kind of lighting I'll be seeing in concert settings, though it would certainly be intriguing to play with.

You are all spot on though, I picked up a cheap UV filter when I bought the 50mm 1.4!

In some lighting, you don't really need a lens hood. But use it anyway.. to protect the lens! It will prevent stray light from hitting the lens also... like the guy next to you with the large flash pointing straight up (with Gary Fong Lightsphere) parked on his ancient Rebel, shooting at the band 60 yards away, with a kit lens set to F16 for extra focus (that is what he said, really! This was in a rather dark club)! Etc..etc...etc... lol! (Yes.. it happened to me!)

Agree with the advice here. Used to think that the UV filter protected - then got a nice "L" lens and the photos were kinda mediocre. Went back to the store, got a new copy - wonderful image. Walked out of the store and... image no longer so wonderful. That's when the bulb went off - it's the filter! Got rid of the filter and put on the lens hood - no more issues.

However, as analog.universe already noted, if you're in an environment where stuff, dust, sand, grit, etc. are flying around, then the clear glass multicoated "filter" is easier to clean up than the lens. However, if there are any bright spots or light sources in the image, the less glass (even multicoated!), the better.

UV filters are useful in cutting UV light, which renders as haze in some situations, like wide landscapes or in snowscapes. As with any filter, you should choose high quality filters. I suggest B+W, Schneider or Heliopan. I never cared for Hoya.

Those who have dropped a lens find that the UV filter they had been using caused damage in itself by and it is unclear if it would have prevented damage. A lens cap will be a much better protection; often you won't drop a lens while you're using it.

Never use a UV filter in situations like these, at night with artificial lighting.

... see guys. It wasn't that hard.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back