Are these pics worthless?

MrRamonG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these pics recently while on the Inka Trail in Peru. Ive already done some processing on them. Would you consider them worthless? I can't make up my mind what I think about them.
22440_1105262052080_1842647309_205524_8243590_n.jpg

22440_1105262092081_1842647309_205525_3998139_n.jpg

Hmm. The first one doesn't appeal to me, it's just sort of a bunch of greenery with a little trail running through it. The greenery seems to sort of overpower the shot (if that makes any sense).

The second photo though, :thumbup:. The only thing I can think of that would make it better is if you had stood closer to the edge of the creek and shot so that it ran from the top of the photo to the bottom, rather than side to side.

Just my two cents, anyway. Thanks for sharing.

I like the first one. I've always liked trails that have no visible end...

#2 just doesn't really interest me much... Just seems like there's not really anything to look at, if you know what I mean.

What makes a photo worthwhile or worthless?

If it is in focus, I save almost every photo I take somewhere. You never know what kind of PP technology they might come up with in the next few years that doesn't exist right now....lol

I use Picasa3, and old shots that I once thought were WAY too dark (even almost total black on the monitor) but saved them anyway, I can lighten them up until they look just fine.

What we have that we take for granted now, were someone's vision/dream just a few short years ago.

Thanks King and Josh, I understand what you guys are saying, and to some extent I agree. Patrick, thanks for your input as well, but regardless of what technology they come up with, you cant alter content without completely deviating from the original photo, ie, i can photoshop a condor in the shot... but, well you get the point.

What I like about the pics is also what is distracting about the pics, the jungle or forest litter. Just wanted to get some other's perspectives on the shots.

Well I wouldn't call them worthless, they are a nice record of your experience.
Are they something that is frameable? Well I don't think so.

Actually, I really like the first one. I might dial down the saturation and add a little extra to the shadows, but that's just my taste. Plus they're from Peru, so that's awesome!

The first thing I look for is a subject. If I'm hunting around a picture for it, I think the picture did not succeed. On yours, I think some tactical cropping might make a huge improvement. Possibly making the first a portrait containing mostly the path. On the second, perhaps zooming in on the stream.

Worthless? Absolutely no. You recorded a time and place that you may not return. So for that I think they are worth 'something'. Would 'somebody' buy one of those prints, maybe.

Denny, I think you hit it on the nose, there is no focal subject, (did I just coin a new phrase?)... i.e. there is nothing to focus your attention on. Cropping might do the trick for both pics.

And thanks for the input WeddingPhotog, youre right, the pics are over saturated and i did nothing to take advantage of shadows.

Shockey and Mike, i guess frameable or something i would show friends or family to describe the trip, is what I was going for, worhtless may have been the wrong term. I guess, sh!tcan or use to show friends, should have been the thread title.

They are not oversaturated they look fine, leave them just how they are. Nope these are better than the s-can.
I would show them to friends as trip photos.

The first thing I look for is a subject. If I'm hunting around a picture for it, I think the picture did not succeed.

That's the first photography quote I have not read in a book that I really want to apply. +1 for this :thumbup:

On the picture note - I like Number 1 but it would do well as part of a surrounding peice or presenation. What is the trail, where does it lead, who is on it, what are you expecting, is night falling soon, has dawn just broken?

I am not sure how you would add these details but that is what I think when I look at it. But then I am not a photographer, I write mainly.

I like Number 1 for sure.

they are definitely not worthless! i think the first one is a more visually interesting photo but could use a crop to make it even more interesting... maybe crop out part of the top and the right hand side?? not so sure about the second one... but as someone said before, the value in these is that you captured memories of your trip. and that makes them invaluable :)

Thanks King and Josh, I understand what you guys are saying, and to some extent I agree. Patrick, thanks for your input as well, but regardless of what technology they come up with, you cant alter content without completely deviating from the original photo, ie, i can photoshop a condor in the shot... but, well you get the point.

What I like about the pics is also what is distracting about the pics, the jungle or forest litter. Just wanted to get some other's perspectives on the shots.

Just to see how it would look, I went and cropped the second photo.

4224732594_2af91cea8e_o.jpg

I like it better, but that is just my personal opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back