Are these too snap shot-ish?

Mia331

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are some photos taken in the Adirondacks as practice in trying to get away from photos that look like just a "snap shot".

Photos 1 & 2 are from the same field

3 was a beautiful area with the river but not sure I captured it correctly

Photos 4 & 5 are the same with a slightly different angle and zoom and thought I would get some feedback between the differences on the two of them. Personally I seem to be drawn more to 5 than 4.

Adirondack Field 3 by Jessica0613, on Flickr

Adirondack Field 2 by Jessica0613, on Flickr

Adirondacks by Jessica0613, on Flickr

Adirondacks_Aug 20 2011 084 by Jessica0613, on Flickr

Adirondacks_Aug 20 2011 085 by Jessica0613, on Flickr

It almost appears they weren't shot in RAW or something is missing. Water line appears crooked in last 3. Also the sky looks either hazy or blown out in 3, and in 4 and 5 it appears a polarizing filter may have sevred you well for contrast and blue sky, they look hazy.

It almost appears they weren't shot in RAW or something is missing. Water line appears crooked in last 3. Also the sky looks either hazy or blown out in 3, and in 4 and 5 it appears a polarizing filter may have sevred you well for contrast and blue sky, they look hazy.

I will def try with a filter next time and it was hazy...it was a little humid and had rained earlier. I want to be able to take photos that get that "wow" factor and just pop! Practice, practice, practice....! :p

Yes. It looks like you didn't really plan the composition, except maybe no 3 and no 5, where I seem to see an effort to compose with a theme/view in mind. They don't pop, like you say, mainly because there is no one point of interest or story to grab the viewer. If you get them with less distracting elements things will improve.
Cheers

I wouldn't call it snap shot-ish...but they leave a lot to be desired.

For shots 1 & 2 I would rather see the items in the foreground in focus. By blurring them they appear to have just been in the way...although #2 is a pretty shot.

#3 need to be rotated clockwise just a bit. Perhaps frame is so that the left bend of the river is in the frame (assuming there's not a tributary or something over there). It's a pretty scene, but there's really nothing in it to grab your attention. That's one of those places where in person it is stunningly gorgeous and serene...but it loses its luster through the lens of a camera.

I really like the idea for #4 & 5...but get the entire bench in the shot if you're going to include it at all.

One last little critique is in your thread title. If you ask whether the shots look like snap shots, it automatically predisposes our minds to that. Maybe next time simply post them and ask for feedback, then after a few responses come back with your other question.

To get great landscape photos get up well before dawn so you can be all set up and ready at least 45 minutes before sunrise.

Morning is better than the evening because the atmosphere is calmer, there is usually less wind, and a lot less stuff moves around at night stirring up dust and spewing particulates into the air, so it's clearest at sunrise.

A polarizing filter works best when the sun is 90° to the lens axis (shining on the side of the lens), and the sun is less than 30° above the horizon.

Sunrise in the Adirondacks is just after 6 AM this time of year. The local horizon will detemine the exact time of local sunrise at any specific shooting location.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back