Are they in focus?

Southerngal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is not that great of a pic....Im aware of that. I was just wondering if they appear in focus? It seems that my 50mm 1.8 lens is great when I have one person, but add a few and Im just not happy with the results. Is it me?

DSC_0119.jpg

it appears to be fine...though the shortest boy appears a little blurry...maybe he moved...I dono.
Good pic though. Looks like a happy family...without that cliche "say cheese" thing.

Some lenses are soft around the edges. Unsure about this lens. You might read a review that tears the lens quality apart and you might learn about some limitations of the lens.

You shot at around f/6. And f/8 is usually the sharpest... but f/6 isn't far from f/8 so it should be pretty sharp. I'd also expect a prime to be sharper than a zoom. You say its sharp as a tack with close up portraits? So would you say when you get some distance between you and your subject it gets fuzzy (such as a group portrait situation)?

I am not an optical engineer, maybe the lens is mis calibrated somehow.

A little PP can help though. You said its OK to edit so I will. If a 5 second PP can make the problem better, I say don't worry ;-)

sharpened.jpg

Some lenses are soft around the edges. Unsure about this lens. You might read a review that tears the lens quality apart and you might learn about some limitations of the lens.

You shot at around f/6. And f/8 is usually the sharpest... but f/6 isn't far from f/8 so it should be pretty sharp IMO. Can't really say. You say its sharp as a tack with close up portraits? It could be a slight calibration issue.

A little PP can help though. You said its OK to edit so I will.

sharpened.jpg

Im actually working on the pic now....the Mother likes it. The one I posted had only been cropped a bit.

Im a bit of a technical dummy....calibration issue? How would I need to go about solving the problem...or figuring out the problem?

Thanks

it appears to be fine...though the shortest boy appears a little blurry...maybe he moved...I dono.
Good pic though. Looks like a happy family...without that cliche "say cheese" thing.

Thanks. They were very fun to work with :wink:

Check your depth of field. What aperature are you shooting at? To get multiple subjects on different planes in focus, you might try to stop down a bit to increase DOF. That's probably why the front subject is a little off. A bit of sharpening may help.

What Soylentgreen said :) Love the colors and soft effect on the shirts though. Did you add a blur and erase back or get that in camera? Either way, it's spiffy.

jon_k how can a lens be mis-calibrated on an SLR? The camera's autofocus unit works on the same image as the photographer sees and everything is done through the lens. I posted a rather large post last month about focusing issues not being the lenses fault and no one was able to come up with a logical explanation of how a lens error could cause the camera to focus incorrectly. Do you have any input on this?

Oh and with that edited version I would have preferred the sharpness layer to be masked onto only the subjects not the entire image, but that's personal taste stuff.

What Soylentgreen said :) Love the colors and soft effect on the shirts though. Did you add a blur and erase back or get that in camera? Either way, it's spiffy.

The first pic had only been cropped....no pp. Thanks!

Here is my final edit.....The mother really loved the warm tones, so I went with it.

DSC_0119-2.jpg

None of us can reliably judge whether this is in focus or not. It's a tiny jpg. You should be able to see clearly enough if you view the full res file at 100%.

Be careful with your final edit Southerngal. It looks like you might have added a little too much saturation to your final edit. Your jeans turned purple. I only saw this because I did it too on a family pic. a few weeks ago. I was trying to get the fall colors in the background to pop more and ended up with purple jeans on the actual print from the lab.

Jodie

I think your final edit is over saturated, lose of detail in the trousers. The original is good but the boy in front is ever so slighly soft. Could be because of f/6 (per jon k) and your distance to subject. From the plane of the second row to further afield everything seems okay. The horizontal swath (fence thing) running thru their heads is distracting to me.

I think this is a good photo of the typical American family today. Nobody seems to be overjoyed. Please, no disrespect intended, just a sign on the times. In twenty years, everyone will have a laugh. You caught the moment.

None of us can reliably judge whether this is in focus or not. It's a tiny jpg. You should be able to see clearly enough if you view the full res file at 100%.
ditto, and whatever your distance was, f/5.6 might not be enough depth of field.

Most reactions

Back