Are Yongnuo flashes/speedlites worth buying???

BuS_RiDeR

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
mdlphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking at the Yongnuo 565 flash. It's WAY less expensive then the Canon EX580ii...

I'm on a budget. But I don't want to sacrifice too much. They get good reviews on YouTube for the most par...

Opinions?

I was looking at the Yongnuo 565 flash. It's WAY less expensive then the Canon EX580ii...

I'm on a budget. But I don't want to sacrifice too much. They get good reviews on YouTube for the most par...

Opinions?

It depends, are you doing any commissioned work? If your getting paid to shoot things, it could be bad.

I've been buying chinese made equipment for about 5 years now. What I've learned is that you get what you pay for. I use the yongnuo and meike stuff on occasion. I have 3 MK410 flashes for my strobist work. I would only trust them for manual mode and in a controlled environment. Reason being that you have occasional misfires and inconsistent recycling times pretty often.

I'm on a tight budget too, so I sprang for the 430EX II. I use it on camera when I need it not to fail and for it to talk to the camera with out any glitches.

I would say buy at least one quality unit from Canon and then buy any others you need from yongnuo.

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk 2

<QUOTE>It depends, are you doing any commissioned work? If your getting paid to shoot things, it could be bad.

I've been buying chinese made equipment for about 5 years now. What I've learned is that you get what you pay for. I use the yongnuo and meike stuff on occasion. I have 3 MK410 flashes for my strobist work. I would only trust them for manual mode and in a controlled environment. Reason being that you have occasional misfires and inconsistent recycling times pretty often.

I'm on a tight budget too, so I sprang for the 430EX II. I use it on camera when I need it not to fail and for it to talk to the camera with out any glitches.

I would say buy at least one quality unit from Canon and then buy any others you need from yongnuo.

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I apreciate the feedback.

I also have a couple Yongnuo speedlites and I think they work great for some occasions. I use them for the most part in controlled enviroment(strobist/"studio" and automotive) and I haven't had any problems with them but I would probably go for a unit from Canon/Nikon if you are shooting in less controlled environment or doing paid work.

Well I bought the Yongnuo YN468-II and it fills 100% of my needs, actually even more then that, so far when on manual I didn't use it on full blast because it over exposed my pic so its got plenty of power.
My flash has TTL so it really is an awesome flash for very little money, it cost me 84$ shipping included so I am sure the 656 (which I think is a model above mine) will be all that you need.

I had a manual mode only Yougnuo YN-460 II. For the price it did what it was supposed to do.
It did not deliver as much power as it claimed it would, and every time I opened or closed the battery compartment door I was afraid it would break.

As far as the Youngnuo units that claim they can do eTTL or iTTL, someone who has used those will have to chime in. I think Buckster may use those.

You'll want to make sure the flash head can zoom, and it's very helpful if a bounce card is built in.

This sums up my reply too. I have 1 430exii, 2x YN560 II, & 2x Neewer TT560 and actually i used my YN560 II's at a fashion show and i only outshot my higher ratioed flash in one picture out of the hundreds i took off the runway. IMO for price they more then exceeded my expectations. The Neewers lack features and power so those are my learning strobes. But anytime i desire reliability/HSS/TTL i use the canon "just cause" it cost the most so I baby it more.

My 2 Yongnuo YN-565EX flashes have been just as reliable as my 2 genuine Canon 580EXII flashes. I don't hesitate to use them for anything, paid or unpaid.

My 565ex gets the most use. My 430ex II rarely (only if I need two flashes). I wish I would have purchased two Yongnuo's, instead of the 430 ex.

I have 2 560s and 1 565, all three work superb, I've used them indoor and outdoor now. Granted I've had them less than I month, but I've now used them on 2 paid shoots, and about 20 different experiments, recycle times are lightning fast, and they go off every single time without a hitch. Only time I run into issues is when batteries are low. Which reminds me, about time to order some eneloop batteries, I've now sunk in close to $60 worth of batteries between the three.

EDIT:
As for the eTTL, I rarely use it, but it seems fairly reliable to me. Works just as well if not better than ever Canon 430 or 580 I've ever tried.

I have the new yongnuo ettl flash and it is just as good as the canon version. Ettl works fine although ettl sucks in general. I have the yongnuo ettl triggers as well and they have never missed fired once.... the build quality is amazing and plenty of power, don't buy cannon it's a complete ripoff unless you want the status symbol.

I have 2 YN 560 Mark I units, and 2 YN 560 Mark II units. I prefer the Mark II units because the adjustments are more intuitive, but I have never had a problem with any of them. In fact, I've had a few issues with my Nikon SB-700 and it's name brand.

So, I would never hesitate to recommend the Yongnuo flashes. Yes, the 560's are manual only but I prefer that. The are solidly built, inexpensive, reliable and trustworthy. Highly recommended.

I have the 568. It's always worked flawlessly for me so far. I wouldn't hesitate using it in any situation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back