Are you a Canon or a Nikon? And why?

So long as the site has an active and large beginner level membership you will get repeats of beginner level questions and threads. I see no problem at all in this (I mean seriously how many of you are sifting through the archives of TFP beginner section enough to get annoyed by repeat threads getting in the way??)

Just accpet that its a part of an online community rather than always using such threads as a means to focus attacks upon the new photographers and new members.

It's not an attack. It's a point. I'll admit sometimes we tired old souls should take a bit longer to make those points and that comes out gruff when we don't... however...

This also happens to be one of those topics that isn't even new to TPF... or the internet... or humanity.

Anytime when you compare X brand to Y brand it becomes a religious war.

I occasionally respond to these threads by simply saying...

AMIGA RULZ!!!!!

...and nothing else.

Why? Because these kinds of threads are JUST like those ones I used to see all the time on bulletin board systems way back when in the 80s... which is better? Amiga or Mac? Which do you use, and why? etc. It's the same old stuff... and the only real answer is also invariably the same...

"X has some advantages, Y has some advantages, but by and large they both do the job and it's whatever happens to work best for you."

And yet, we see the threads time and again...

Ford vs. Chevy
Vanilla vs. Chocolate
Toilet paper roll tucked under or over
Macintosh vs. Wintel
Macintosh vs. Amiga
Canon vs. Nikon

etc.

So anyway, yeah... you're right... there's not much point in my responding to this in the way I did, except that I hold out some thin bit of hope that if enough people say "hey, this is pointless" that eventually as a culture we'll learn. It's a crazy stupid and pointless thing to hope because it won't happen, but I hope anyway.

People still talk about "the weather" and "the neighbors" and "the new girl in reception" and their "idiot boss" too. Talking about "the weather" or the "idiot boss"---also pointless, and yet...human nature.

Oh, and just so you know it goes: Ford! Vanilla with chocolate syrup! Toilet paper over! Macintosh! Sprint! iPod! Canon! Nikon! Burger King! Gitzo! Manfrotto/Bogen! RiteWay! Glossy! 4x6! Kodak! Ilford! HC-110! Leica! Speedotron! Fiber based! Yankees! Colts! Heinz! Hellman's! Irish Spring! Gibson! Peavey! Nike! Coca~Cola! Doritos! Stirred! Medium-rare! Baked potato! Heinz 57! Bleu cheese! Crown Royal! Kawasaki! Tarantino! 2-D! Salted! Original Recipe! 7-Layer! "Denise"! Charmin! :lol:

You lost me at Coca~Cola, but I came back for the Blue Cheese. Also would like to add Denise Richards to the list.

I think the best thing to do is to get the admins to do the exact opposite of what newbies expect.

STICKY IT.

That way, we can keep merging threads into it each time someone starts one and b!tch slap them for not noticing the sticky. No excuses for not searching because its right there at the top of the forum.

Here's my opinion

381672561.jpg

oh yeh... French toast and breakfast sausage chased down with some hot coffee.

I'm a Nikon because of backwards compatibility. If I were to try to replace all my manual focus ais lenses with modern lenses of comparable optical quality I'd have to take out a 2nd mortgage on my house.

I have Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Holga, is that helping?!!!:mrgreen:

I started in photography using my dad's old Canon gear and never looked back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back