Are you an artist?

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been thinking about this a lot lately...

I feel that very little of my work would meet my (personal) definition of "art". I think that "art" has a message - it says something, influences the viewer. Moves them in one direction or another. Art is almost like conversation, but more powerful because it works on more levels than words.

Just to throw some numbers out there - I have roughly 5000 photos on Flickr, maybe .1% of those I can call "art".

I feel like I've reached a point where I need to start producing some art ... or, what's the point?
I have a few ideas - I tend to think 'art' things over for a long time before I shoot them. By the time I actually do shoot them, I know exactly what I want it to look like, and exactly how to shoot it.

So, here's the question(s): Do you feel that you are producing 'art', or just 'photos'? How do you feel about that? What does your work say about you, or society, or whatever it is you are commenting on with your work?

I know what you mean... but the problem is defining art in the first place. I feel like I have one image that is considered artistic. And that's the one with the kids in the pumpkin patch pushing the cart.
Everything else is just "kid eating watermelon" "Guy sitting down" etc.

We had a thread on this very top a month or so ago.... shouldn't be too hard to find.

I don't want this to turn into a "what is art" thread (I know that's not where you were going - but I can see it happening, lol) - but I totally get what you mean with the "Guy sitting down" etc... That's exactly what I'm talking about. Nearly all of my photos are stuff like that. Things, or people doing things. Very few 'ideas' or concepts...

We had a thread on this very top a month or so ago.... shouldn't be too hard to find.

Just to be clear - I'm not interested in hearing your definition of "art". I realize that everyone is going to have a mostly-the-same-but-slightly-different definition.

I just want to know, are you making art now, do you want to make art, how do you feel about that?

Conversations like this make my head hurt :lol:

As far as I'm concerned, the "point" of it for me is because I enjoy doing what I do. Period.

Quite frankly I could give a sh*t as to whether people considered it to be art or just plain photos.

I like it, and that's all I care about.

To get wrapped up in whether or not it fits any number of definitions of "art" would be asking myself to become overwhelmed, depressed, bitter, and possibly begin to hate doing what I do... and then when THAT happens... THEN what's the point? :lol:

::shrugs:: :lmao:

I am surrounded by artists; my mother is an artist, my sisters are artists, my wife is an artist, my daughters are artists. I take photos and can only hope to compare with them one day.

You're missing the point, e.rose.

This isn't about what other people think art is. We've done that. This is about if you feel that you are producing whatever it is that you consider "art" to be. Are you an artist, or "just" a photographer?

You're missing the point, e.rose.

This isn't about what other people think art is. We've done that. This is about if you feel that you are producing whatever it is that you consider "art" to be. Are you an artist, or "just" a photographer?

See I think you're missing *my* point. My point is... I don't stop to think about what I consider myself, because I don't care to get wrapped up in the definitions. :lol:

When people ask what I do, I tell them I'm a photographer... because that is the form of art, if any, that I produce... but I don't say, "Hi, I'm Emily, I'm an Artist".

That being said, what I do, I don't consider to be snapshots... there's thought put behind it... and I DO consider photography to be an art... just like I consider music to be an art... or dance... or drawing, painting, sculpting, etc.

When clients try to fight me on how much I charge because they're "just pictures"... I argue they're not "just pictures", but when someone told me that I should show in a gallery, I declined the idea because I don't think I have "gallery worthy" material...

And THIS... is why I don't think about whether or not I'm an artist... because I don't consider what I do "just pictures" but I don't consider it "fine art" either.

Which brings me back to my original statement: I don't care whether or not I considered myself an artist, because I just do what I do. :sexywink:

I'm sure it's not the answer what you're looking for, but it's not that I'm missing your point... it's just literally the best answer I have to give you.

I dunno....but when my mustache is trimmed and groomed and waxed fully, I feel like an artiste!

because I don't consider what I do "just pictures" but I don't consider it "fine art" either.

So there is a (maybe fuzzy) line somewhere in there.

In my head, I have a pretty clear definition of what art is. Almost all of my work does not meet my standard. I've known this pretty much forever, I just never really cared before. For some reason, I care now...

because I don't consider what I do "just pictures" but I don't consider it "fine art" either.

So there is a (maybe fuzzy) line somewhere in there.

In my head, I have a pretty clear definition of what art is. Almost all of my work does not meet my standard. I've known this pretty much forever, I just never really cared before. For some reason, I care now...

Uh-oh...dude...sounds like you've come down with a bad case of Iactuallygiveadamnitis!!!! Better get that checked out Josh.

My wife is an artist. She draws, paints, and makes things. Sometimes she starts with an idea. Sometimes, she just starts, and the brush or pencil find the image developing under her hand. I often watch her work - she is intent, and yet, relaxed. It comes.

I don't have quite that organic feeling with my photography. Often times I have an idea and then work to make it happen. Put together the props, arrange the lighting, get the mood. It usually works, but rarely in the way I see it in my mind's eye. Other times, when I'm out and about, the image forms itself in front of my eyes and if I'm lucky enough to have my camera close at hand, I capture it before it disappears again. Very occasionally, I find an image hiding in the shots I took for some other purpose entirely. And then I need to bring it out, to give it some form of self-identity. But it's a fleeting and ephemeral thing. So I work at the technical, with the goal of making it so automatic, that I can forget about it and focus on the soul or feeling of the person or thing I'm seeing. I get glimpses of the possible, but it usually eludes my grasp.

In school, yes, I produced art, and I think, had an artistic thought process. I had some nice 'art' photos/photo process pieces and ceramic pieces. Haven't produced anything for years, hope to soon with the new camera.

As far as your .1%, maybe you just have a high shooting ratio.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back