Are you tempted?

wildmaven

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
wildmaven.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The orders from the photo shoots I did last weekend are starting to come in, and I'm amazed at which photos the parents choose. Are you ever tempted to say, "why'd you pick that one?! Number 3 is soooo much nicer!" :confused: Part of me wants to print my favorite one anyway and include it for free, but then the business woman in me stops me, LOL.

One woman from my "free 8x10" session wanted to know if she could get a free 8x10 of each child. Um....no.... :er:

Ya I find that to be the case some times. As the photographer you see what is a "Good" shot but the person buying the photo does not know much about photography and just sees a nice picture, even though there may be a lot about it that bothers you:)

I took some photo's for my neighber and was dumbfounded at the photo's she chose. I also told her I would convert to B&W if she liked, she had me convert 4. But then when I went to her house she had decided to convert the rest herself and put them all in one big multiple frame. They looked so bad...but I didn't to diss her efferts. Plus two people who saw them want to do sessions with me for their Christmas portraits.

I find myself doing this often. People like certain aspects about a picture but overall it isn't the best but it sells anyways.

I often find myself critiquing pictures on people's walls nowadays (to myself of course). Its disturbing. :D

OHHHH yes...it always bugs me!! They arent looking at it from an artistic standpoint.....they see the person's personality in the photo they choose! Its wonderful when you get the art & the personality in the same photo...but it doesnt happen on every shot.

After many years of weddings, I have learned to include some pictures in albums that dont necessarily 'make the grade' as far as photography is concerned and it always pays off....there will be something there that somebody wants!!!! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!

This actually helped me a lot just now. I have realized that it's true. A lot of people like the photos I would normally throw away.

Weird...

Well....oh well. I'll start keeping more in case people want em.

Keep in mind that a parent might see a particular familiar look on a child's face or a glint of something in their eye that you'd never notice that makes them smile, even if it's not the best picture it "looks like" their child so they like it the best.

In my experience, this happens a lot! I think its because as a photographer, you can see the entire photo - the composition, the DOF, the contrast - everything that makes a great photo . . . However, when the client looks at a photo - especially if they are in it, all they see is themselves (in my experience). If they don't think they look good (or their loved ones look good), it doesn't matter how great your composition is - they won't think twice about buying it. If they look great in a photo, even if you HATE the photo, they'll think it's great!

Keep in mind that a parent might see a particular familiar look on a child's face or a glint of something in their eye that you'd never notice that makes them smile, even if it's not the best picture it "looks like" their child so they like it the best.
Reding this thread this was exactly the response I was going to give until you beat me to it. But as far as "free" prints just to show them wich one you like that seems a little crazy to me unless mabye you are shooting a friend or something. When was the last time you place an order with someone like B+H and they put in an extra lens that the person taking your order thought was more appropriate for you or they liked better.

I have learned that when I do sports tournaments to apply my editorial opinion of a good picture to what I upload. I just edit from a technical aspect. I have uploaded 4000 shots from a weekend softball tournament and scratched my head for a month watching orders come in asking that same why question. But I have also looked at pictures of my daughter playing and loved the 'not the best shots'. Emotional attatchment is a strong selling urge more impulsive than any other.

I don't toss any photos from shoots before I show the client (with the exceptions on those with technical issues such as focus). What I hate, the client may love, so I show them everything.

I do sort them, and put my favs on top. More often than not, I will sell a photo that I would have tossed, so I've come to the conclusion that tossing photos before showing them is roughly akin to throwing away money.

The photo is going on their wall, not mine. They have to love it, not me.

not to long ago I shot some photos at a picnic and didn't show some of them as they were not up to par IMHO. One of the persons there wanted to know how her photos came out and I said they didn't come out that great IMO so I didn't share them publicly with the group online. Well after looking at them all she ended up ordering several prints becuase it reminded her of her one on one time with one of her children which is something she rarely gets. After that I have learned to show all the photos except for those that are technically bad because I never know if there is something there that I might think is trash but the client likes enough to want to buy a print.

One woman from my "free 8x10" session wanted to know if she could get a free 8x10 of each child. Um....no.... :er:

Sure, buy nine, get the tenth one free... :)

Most reactions

Back