Are you THAT good?

Yes, but there is much background info on that, including a change in grade 2 that is just horrible to deal with, including the stock that was set aside for them at Kodak was sold out from under them, so there stock is quite low from what it should be, Not to mention it is not even made any more. So, the older stock, no matter how old is better. Michael and Paula are good friends and working on a new Silver Chloride paper, I already have commited funds for a pre-order and looking forward to it getting made, as with them involved it will probably be better than Azo was.

Cheers!

I've been following the threads on APUG about it pretty religiously. Have you heard bad things about the Grade 3 that they have, as well?

Sorry, but you are way, way, off base about what composition is. It is based on the elements of design in art. Take a look at this website which will give you a much clearer idea about what compostion REALLY IS:

www.photoinf.com

skieur

Thanks for that link, lots of good stuff there :thumbup:

Sorry, but you are way, way, off base about what composition is. It is based on the elements of design in art. Take a look at this website which will give you a much clearer idea about what compostion REALLY IS:

www.photoinf.com

skieur

I looked at the website and the larger majority of guides use parts of what I wrote, but worded differently and easier to understand/follow.
I know I'm not great with wiriting things for people to understand, but my knowledge is pretty good and that link you posted shows me that I knew what I was trying to get across. :blushing:

I've been following the threads on APUG about it pretty religiously. Have you heard bad things about the Grade 3 that they have, as well?

Grade 3 this is pretty much the same as it was, no problem with that at all. Grade 2 is much softer, not as much contrast, where 30-40% of my negatives would fit on old grade 2, now maybe 10% go on it. This can be adjusted for with exposure and development, and some slight changes in the Amidol formula, but I still find the color and contrast not what it was.

Grade 3 this is pretty much the same as it was, no problem with that at all. Grade 2 is much softer, not as much contrast, where 30-40% of my negatives would fit on old grade 2, now maybe 10% go on it. This can be adjusted for with exposure and development, and some slight changes in the Amidol formula, but I still find the color and contrast not what it was.

Well damn. This is spreading me thin. Oh well. I guess my Ektalure supplier can hold out longer than Michael and Paula. Time to buy some azo!

I think its about 1/3 Production value, 1/3 photographer and 1/3 subject. As a photographer you need to and responsible to bring all of these together. If you are working with Art director or the like that is a little different, but still on your head.

I shoot away if im doing sports but in the back of my head I am thinking about the orientation of my camera and the composition i want but when I do portraits or just any other shooting I try to plan out as much as I can in my head thinking that photoshop dosent exist. Photoshop will take longer even for me a very experienced user than just adjusting certain things on my camera.

After 60 years of working hard this whole process has become a Zen exercise.

I can't wait to get to the point where I'm not concentrating as much on the technical aspects but more of the composition. Lately I've been getting more stressed wondering what setting I have wrong b/c I didn't think of it. It can take away from some of the enjoyment but I guess it's part of the learning curve going from some automatic to mostly manual.

I shoot away if im doing sports but in the back of my head I am thinking about the orientation of my camera and the composition i want but when I do portraits or just any other shooting I try to plan out as much as I can in my head thinking that photoshop dosent exist. Photoshop will take longer even for me a very experienced user than just adjusting certain things on my camera.
exactly.

Don't leave out the element of sheer luck.

Composition is vital, but often times you need the photo god smiling on you.

AND . . . we were taught a long time ago that luck is where opportunity meets preparedness. So when you have the opportunity for that perfect shot because the light is just right, the clouds just broke or are in a spectacular array or pattern, the people just happen to be dressed just right and standing just right, etc etc, composition skills are what will make your picture spectacular rather than only slightly above ordinary.

And as an old college photojournalism professor once told me, "you can't get a lucky snapshot if you never keep a camera handy."

Jeff

or "luck favors the prepared"

"Now to consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk. Such rules and laws are deduced from the accomplished fact; they are the products of reflection..."

-Edward Weston

Sorry, I'm getting lost.

Composition = Cropping ?

I do crop sometimes since the VF of my cameras are not 100%. I do crop since I don't have panoramic camera. I do crop since I don't have the necessary focal length at the shooting moment.

Cropping should involves composition inside itself.

If you know you are going to crop ahead of time, there is nothing wrong with that.

Cropping has nothing to do with composition, at least in the sense that it is so commonly used.

ksmattfish: one of my favorite essays by Weston, what he said then is even more true today.

Composition is a summarization of what makes people feel comfortable and artistic. Somebody may break old rules with creativity. Anyway, ask yourself what really make you feel comfortable and artistic.

Most reactions

Back