Are you THAT good?

My camera only has three focal points, so sometimes when I have what I want as the composition, I have to shift for focus. My eyes aren't good enough to manually focus so I have to be willing to crop some pictures. But I generally have in mind how I will crop when I take the picture.

A photographic image is, by it's very nature, a composition. It's not necessarily a good composition, but it is a composition.

Composition is a summarization of what makes people feel comfortable and artistic. Somebody may break old rules with creativity. Anyway, ask yourself what really make you feel comfortable and artistic.

Composition is definitely not subjective.

skieur

My camera only has three focal points, so sometimes when I have what I want as the composition, I have to shift for focus. My eyes aren't good enough to manually focus so I have to be willing to crop some pictures. But I generally have in mind how I will crop when I take the picture.

You don't seem to know what composition is either. Look at www.photoinf.com for articles on the nature of composition.

skieur

A photographic image is, by it's very nature, a composition. It's not necessarily a good composition, but it is a composition.

You do not really seem to know what composition is either. Look at www.photoinf.com and read the articles on composition.

skieur

Sorry, I'm getting lost.

Composition = Cropping ?

I do crop sometimes since the VF of my cameras are not 100%. I do crop since I don't have panoramic camera. I do crop since I don't have the necessary focal length at the shooting moment.

Cropping should involves composition inside itself.

Nope, composition does not equal cropping!

skieur

Just a suggestion: Try leaving the focus on the middle point, so you'll always be accustomed to finding the focus with the same part of the viewfinder. Once the image is focused, turn autofocus off (very gently) and compose the image as usual.

You do not really seem to know what composition is either. Look at www.photoinf.com and read the articles on composition.

skieur

Whenever you frame an image, you create a composition. You either do so wittingly and with skill, or in a naive manner, but you have made compositional decisions and crafted an image. One could make the argument that an image taken at random can be well-composed with no input from creator, but in this instance there is a curatorial element to it: compositions are typically chosen based along aesthetic choices.

I compose subconciously with a thought process that makes me take a photo or not. I don't just click at anything. I edit my photos before they are even taken. Only the ones I think will work are taken.

skieur

Uh, the composition is the make-up of the image you intend to produce. It is the whole of the elements that produce the image.

Just a suggestion: Try leaving the focus on the middle point, so you'll always be accustomed to finding the focus with the same part of the viewfinder. Once the image is focused, turn autofocus off (very gently) and compose the image as usual.

That's an interesting point. Thanks.

I try to compose my shots through the viewfinder and try out as many different angles, focal lengths and shutter/aperature combo's as possible. Take a long time on the shot you have pictured in your head, bracket it, then fire away. I think everyone can attest to the fact that 99% of images we take are garbage.

Also, being of the digital age I have nothing against using PS to adjust some things that you'd be able to do in the darkroom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back