Argh! My eye!

Fiendish Astronaut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure if this is the right forum for this but had an eye test on Friday got a clean bill of health. Then yesterday had a gunky eye, and today it's the area around my eye is all swollen and my eye is red. Waking up with it all stuck together and stuff. It's the eye I use to look through the viewfinder with and I used my camera on Friday night.

Firstly, I can't exactly drive to a health centre today, but I'll walk to my local GP tomorrow. I suspect it's conjunctivitis and of course I'm highly suspicious that the optician gave it to me somehow. He didn't directly touch my eye though he touched the lid with gloves on once or twice.

Secondly, is there anything I should do to the eye cup on my viewfinder? It's logical to clean it but any tips? Or should I replace it entirely?

I'm going to lose work because of this. Not sure how I can prove I got this from the optician, if indeed that was the cause, but I'm tempted to look into some sort of claim for loss of earnings. :(

Edit: trying not to spend too much time in front of a monitor so thanks in advance in case I don't get a chance to respond to any replies. I will check back here soon though.

Some mild soapy water should work to clean the viewfinder - minding however how much dampness you use. It should take care of ridding the viewfinder of the germ. I think alcohol might harm the plastic. You might want to wipe your entire camera down since this germ is spread by hand to eye contact - just in case you rubbed your eye then handeled the camera. Oh, and a simple eye patch would enable you to use the camera with your good eye as well as go to work. Good Luck & feel better.

Is it possible you had an allergic reaction to something? Sounds like you should be able to make a claim for loss of earnings unless a) it was an allergic reaction and b) the optician didn't know you had an allergy, usually because you didn't know and therefore couldn't reveal it to the optician.

Get better with a quick recovery :)

My guess is it is a virus you picked up in the eye docs waiting room

Could you have an allergy to latex(doctors gloves)? Also a doctors office, hospital, clinic, or wherever sick people go, is the easiest place to catch something.

Could just be bad pink eye, Give it a day.

Most viewfinders have detatchable covers anyway. When you're good again detach the cover and dip it into some alcohol. Oh and wash the alcohol off straight afterwards incase it eats into the plastic / rubber.

That should sort out the camera. If you are really worried some alcohol with a qtip on the viewfinder itself is not a bad idea either.

Use something like Isocol we have here in Australia which is 70% isopropyl and 30% antibacterial agent.

Thanks for the replies everyone. For the record - and for the benefit of anyone searching through these threads with the same problem - here's what's gone down...

the other eye got infected - not suprising. So, with eyes very much like a zombie, I went to the doctors. He put luminous eyedrops in my eyes and had a good look. In daylight the area around my eyes glowed bright yellow. Wish I'd taken a photo of myself with glowing eyes now. Conjunctivitis could be allergic, but since I've not got a runny nose, it couldnlt be that or heyfever or something. Nope, mine's a virus.

To sort, boil some water and use a cotton swab to wipe under each eye. Use a different swab for each eye - do NOT let things that touch one eye touch the other. So also use your left hand to treat your left eye and your right hand for your right eye.

He also prescribed antibiotic eye drops. You can actually buy this in the UK (and everywhere else I'd imagine) over the counter without a doctors prescription. The active ingredient is 0.5% w/v chloramphenicol. The label instructions were similar to the doctor's. He said two drops 5 times a day for 5 days. The label says 1 drop every 2 hours for 5 days. Meh.

He also very kindly gave me some alcoholic wipes for my camera view finder.

The other important thing is: wash your hands. A lot. And get anyone else on your house to do so too.

Rest for a few days.

Most reactions

Back