Arguments in the Challenges - COVID Stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh trust me, I know already;) The other day I walked from the kitchen door to the kitchen island and started doing something totally 360 degrees from what I had intended to do, and forgot all about what I originally wanted to do :boggled: I would tell you what those 2 things were, but I have forgotten:)

It's a medical condition called "Hereafter", you walk in a room and forget what you're here after" :biglaugh:

Oh trust me, I know already;) The other day I walked from the kitchen door to the kitchen island and started doing something totally 360 degrees from what I had intended to do, and forgot all about what I originally wanted to do :boggled: I would tell you what those 2 things were, but I have forgotten:)

It's a medical condition called "Hereafter", you walk in a room and forget what you're here after" :biglaugh:

That reminds me of walking into the protologists room, left there and forgot where I was and where I was going, all I know is that it was a pain in the *ss

Just a slice of my own sordid opinion that don't mean jack squat.

If there is any one thing I have been able to opinionize on that seems largely agreeable on is that modern education sucks.

so when a challenge or application of thought comes up where the originator of the challenge uses terms, words and phrases that are either of a different education level or used in conjunctive sentences that do not follow normal and contemporary slang, as per course of the modern generation, people get their feelings hurt and misunderstandings blow up into nuclear war.

OVER WORDS!!!

I am no the best eduamakated and kant spel werth a tinkars flip, but I can recognize the concept of criticism and that its application is not to destroy but a measurement of the observers opinion. Something to be both relished and taken with a grain of salt.

Simply put, if you can't take a bloody nose, don't get into the fight.

Just a slice of my own sordid opinion that don't mean jack squat.

If there is any one thing I have been able to opinionize on that seems largely agreeable on is that modern education sucks.

so when a challenge or application of thought comes up where the originator of the challenge uses terms, words and phrases that are either of a different education level or used in conjunctive sentences that do not follow normal and contemporary slang, as per course of the modern generation, people get their feelings hurt and misunderstandings blow up into nuclear war.

OVER WORDS!!!

I am no the best eduamakated and kant spel werth a tinkars flip, but I can recognize the concept of criticism and that its application is not to destroy but a measurement of the observers opinion. Something to be both relished and taken with a grain of salt.

Simply put, if you can't take a bloody nose, don't get into the fight.

So internet forums for photography enthusiasts are supposed to be a bloody-nosed fight?

Perhaps the covid-related question does bear some fruit. It would be nice if the whole world could have a civil discussion and air the differences of opinions we all share. I think most of us come here to get away from the pettiness we face and see in our worldly lives and when it rears it's ugly head here, we feel disappointed and abandoned by the hopes we place in our little getaway.
Ok, group hug? Wait, let me take my wallet out, after all, I really don't know you people;)

I used to enjoy the Weekly Challenges and the Photo of the Month, but recently there seems to be some arguments and an outbreak of the Red Cross disagreement sticker. Are we all getting stressed over COVID or do some people take these informal threads way too seriously?

I use The Photoforum for fun and relaxation, but I've not participated for a while in the Challenges, because if I wanted arguments and disagreement I can visit my office.

I also noticed a drop in nominations for the photo of the month since the arguments in the August thread.

Do we all need to lighten up a bit? People give their time to run weekly challenges and polls, let's just join them in a spirit of friendly fun, and not try to mount legal challenge to the 'rules'.
Nothing spices up the forum like the occasional bloody nose. ;) You're going to find that wherever you hang out, given enough time. It's been going on in this one as far back as I can remember - and I've been here since the place was five months old! I may have been wide-eyed and aghast at the time, but have since come to recognize that people are going to vent online in a manner that they would likely never do in person - so it really is best to let the vast majority of it go, once it's over. It's nasty while it's going on, does little to promote good community relations, we agree. Heck, the founder of the site and original owner, Chase, used to let them go on and on and on while many of us squirmed and wanted him to squash it. But he was of the opinion to let people go until they tired of it. I recall one thread that ran for over 17 pages.

Good times. :1247:

As far as drops in participation, the ebb and flow of forums is a fact of life. People get busy, people leave, summer months can turn forums into ghost towns, etc. It's nothing new.

If you want to see more participation....participate. As far as seeing bickering in a photography forum - well, artistic people are generally passionate people. It's really not so surprising at all.

As to the POTM nominations, if you go back to the August POTM I brought this up. While anything that makes it easier would be welcomed, making additional work for the mods doesn't seem like a good long term solution. Another point I brought up was the ability to "change" your vote at any time. @terri seemed to agree with the point but I believe it's another "software" issue.
Yessir, you and I agree it's an odd thing to have embedded in a poll - the ability to change one's vote after viewing others - but, embedded it is.

Same thing with the entire "Like" system. As we all know, it's embedded within each post we make, and I've looked to see if there's a way to chisel the "Disagree" out of it, and I'm not seeing it.

Dean's been working hard behind the scenes, thinking on ways to improve the POTM contest. If anyone has more to suggest or ideas to offer, please contact him directly. He and @snowbear are in charge of the contests, and I defer decisions to them - I ain't here to micromanage. I think they're doing a grand job! :icon_thumleft:

Then ya'll missed the point of the statement.

@terri not being privy to all the facts behind the scene it would be foolish to argue if changes are possible or not. However I do know, that be it proprietary software or commercially purchased, someone somewhere has access to the source code and the ability to edit that code. If they will or at what cost is another matter. That's why its always best in these types of upgrades to get it all done at once rather than piecemeal.

@Tropicalmemories Forums are no different than a street in any town. You don't know the person coming at you. Are they nice, or do they intend to do you harm. At least on the street you have your other senses to warn you to stay away from them. Forums seem to attract the "trolls" those who live to start controversy. TPF is no different and had its fair share. Of those many have been booted off only to come back under other names. Like the street you learn to ignore, avoid and move on. Just like the street its wise to choose the people you comment on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back