Arista film again

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay over the years I have shot a truck load of arista film. And bought a boat load of color film all over the place.

So now I'm wondering has anyone shot the arista color films, If so how is the arista 200. I might be interested in shooting some higher volume stuff than just my grandson's birthday party.

So if you know about the color let me know. By the way the black and white cut film and the roll 120 is first rate, no matter what the "experts" tell you. I have some 400 Im not sure isn't rated a little fast but who knows.

What country is it from? That's how you can tell what brand it is. For many years the Arista BW was made in England. There's only one film manufacturer in England. Alas, there is no more Arista BW that's made in England.

By the way the black and white cut film and the roll 120 is first rate, no matter what the "experts" tell you. I have some 400 Im not sure isn't rated a little fast but who knows.

Compared to what? Granted, I'm no expert, so I haven't used a whole lot of films and have had good luck with good old Tri-X 400. Agfa gave me some really good contrast, but I hated working with it for processing. The film itself seemed a bit flimsy and difficult to get onto my reels.

What ASA have you been working with? Just the 400 or others as well? I'm gonna try some SLOW Efkes here pretty soon: the 25, and the 50 as well as both the 100 and the 400. I can't wait :D

One point I should have made... i don't compare films. It either does what I want or it doesn't. The arista does everything I asked it to do. I shoot the 100 and the 400 in 120. The one hundred in the cut.

The 120 is much thinner than the cut but it's supposed to be. I am basing my opinion solely on the probably faulty memories of years ago.

The arista is a good medium contrast... develops in most any temperature and develops quickly in the developer I mix like a mad chemist. I develop it in a mix of equal parts d76 and dektol then cut it with water 1/4. I develop it for 4.5 minutes.

I did that because it should be 14 minutes in d76 1.1 and I don't like standing at the sink turning a drum that long. I haven't really had a grain problem but then I like grain. So I wouldn't have a problem with it. If you don't have grain you might as well shoot digital.

The black and white is now made in Hungary...I have no idea where the color is made. The only thing that would disqualify the color film for me is if it tore easily, or if it was so soft as to scratch the emulsion after lab processing. I can deal with funky color.

By the by, I gave up on reels for developing. I bought some plastic film aprons from freestyle. If you have a tank that is for a free standing reel. not the yankee but the stainless or the one of the others you can use the aprons. They are I think the original way roll film was developed if it wasn't just dip and dunk. My film tanks vary from peanut butter jars to spice jars. The light baffles for the tops are easy to make in spite of what I thought.

Most reactions

Back