Armed Siege (my pics tv & papers) (part 1 - 56k)

KenCo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.takingthepic.com
Got a phone call 8am Sunday13th, informing me that most of the town centre was cordoned off…..and armed police are wandering around. I was the only tog for at least a good couple of hours and to my surprise only one other turned up. Obviously not all these shots are news worthy but standing around for 4 hours waiting for something to happen got me shooting anything, although I do think I got the only shot of one of the people held being released….however this has not been confirmed yet, so I won’t post that shot.
The guy came out of his own accord at about 11am after throwing a shoulder purse or small bag out first. It came as a bit of a shock as the dog started barking and police shouted “armed police, hands in the air” rather startled me into action as I was looking the other way.
The BBC ran with 2 of my shots all Sunday and Monday, ITV used 2 Monday until the 10pm news, The Journal used 1 shot in Mondays edition and the same shot on the website….I presumed The Evening Chronicle would have had access to the images from The Journal being part of the same group but no…..So I missed on The Evening Chronicle which the other tog got. The Northern Echo used 2 shots in Mondays paper and another on the website. Best of all I made some good contacts via email and phone and a nice lady from the BBC is passing my details around.
Links to stories:
The Journal
The Northern Echo
Credited in both papers.
Anyway some shots.

_MG_6980-Edit.jpg

_MG_6989-Edit.jpg

_MG_6990-Edit.jpg

_MG_7013-Edit.jpg

_MG_7027-Edit.jpg

_MG_7068-Edit.jpg

_MG_7034-Edit%202.jpg

Part 2 here
TFL.
Ken

wow well done Ken, good bit of photojournalism :thumbup:

Congratulations. Not only for being in the right place at the right time, but also for excellent images.

I love how the presumed bad guy is wearing a black and white striped shirt, which in the United States is an old prisoner's outfit/uniform, how fitting. Nice shots, I bet it was exciting at some points.

I love how the presumed bad guy is wearing a black and white striped shirt, which in the United States is an old prisoner's outfit/uniform, how fitting.

I was also thinking the same thing. Was also thinking of putting a Jack-in-the-Box face on that round white circle (crappy american fast food).
180px-jack-in-the-box-ceo.gif

Nice shots.

I have always found it odd that British police carrying weapons have to say "armed police."
But I attribute that to my Americanism, and the fact that all cops here carry guns.

well done, good pics and always good to hear about peoples success stories

These are such good photos, I rarely see press photography of this quality! The relatively narrow DOF and nice bokeh gives these more than usual press photos have!
And I was going to say the very same that MissMia also said, i.e. how I like the dog on alert! All ears, that dog is! :D

Most reactions

Back