Arrested...

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I was a kid in the 60s, this was a bank in Greenville, CA - I got my first ever bank account here. In the early 70s, I was a hitchhiking hippie who got mugged just out of the town limits and limped my way to the closest house to use their phone to call the cops. They showed up in their sheriff's issue cowboy hats and put me in cuffs and drove me to this building, which apparently had been turned into a jail and Sheriff's office while I was away in the US Army. They searched me, then made me wait more than an hour before letting me write down what happened - they didn't want to know much about me getting beat up by local rednecks until then. And they weren't at all interested in going after the guys who did it. I went to high school with them just a few years before.

That was then, this is now. It's still a Sheriff's substation, justice court and the temporary lockup is that little building in the back. It looks a lot better to me than it did in the early 70s. :D

greenville-justice-court1710-05sm.jpg

Nikon D810, Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 at 21mm, f/7.1, 1/1000s, ISO 800 hand held one early morning in October, 2017. Developed in LR & PS.

Very nice. The story sounds like it could be a scene out of Easy Rider!

Interesting building and backstory.

Very nice pic (looks like the kind of place that would give you a ticket for walking too fast >> Enter Barney Fife)) and cool story! I was waiting for the part where you went "Rambo" on them. I was a little disappointed wannabe sheriff "Will Teasle" didn't get his.

I was waiting for the part where you went "Rambo" on them.
Well, I wasn't the Rambo type back then, I was a drug user and dealer. Their suspicions were not wrong, although I was also a victim that evening too. Now, almost 50 years later, I count some law enforcement officers as friends, including the current sheriff. And just a few days ago, I celebrated 34 years of sobriety.

I was waiting for the part where you went "Rambo" on them.
Well, I wasn't the Rambo type back then, I was a drug user and dealer. Their suspicions were not wrong, although I was also a victim that evening too. Now, almost 50 years later, I count some law enforcement officers as friends, including the current sheriff. And just a few days ago, I celebrated 34 years of sobriety.
I always liked, "The Rest of the Story", with Paul Harvey. This reminded me of that. Glad to see you're doing well, congrats!

In the 80's we owned the mimi market right across the street from the PD. Very small town. Didn't own it long and moved back to Santa Cruz, where all the Hippies were!!!

Most reactions

Back