Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
C/C willingly accepted

upload_2019-3-10_18-11-13.png

Man, that is pretty darn nice. Really a very compelling image you made.

Thanks.
This was in old Havana and the photo required a surprising amount of correction to the mistakes that Mother Nature made.
The man was in very dark shadow, the door was quite bright and the outside walls even more so.
Shot with the Sony 21-105 which is remarkably shot.
Seen on my 5k monitor, the shot is really luscious thanks to Sony, LR and PS

An interesting street find. Had you moved a bit to the right perhaps the angles in the upper part of the frame would have been corrected. The diagonals there don't really help the shot.

The newer sensors offer extremely generous Recovery of both highlights and shadows!!! Scenes that used to be impossible are now easy!

Had you moved a bit to the right perhaps the angles in the upper part of the frame would have been corrected. The diagonals there don't really help the shot.

I second this. My first thought in seeing this image was that it was quite a striking scene, but my second was that I really would have liked to see a version of this with the entryway centered in the image and squared up to the frame. I think that architectural symmetry would enhance the impact of the painted figures.

That's an assumption, of course. Maybe such a small tweak in perspective puts other things out of position (such as the man recessed in the entryway), but it's a perspective I think would be worth seeing.

The newer sensors offer extremely generous Recovery of both highlights and shadows!!! Scenes that used to be impossible are now easy!

Thanks, Derrel. Yes, not impossible, but also not so easy all the time.

Had you moved a bit to the right perhaps the angles in the upper part of the frame would have been corrected. The diagonals there don't really help the shot.

I second this. My first thought in seeing this image was that it was quite a striking scene, but my second was that I really would have liked to see a version of this with the entryway centered in the image and squared up to the frame. I think that architectural symmetry would enhance the impact of the painted figures.

That's an assumption, of course. Maybe such a small tweak in perspective puts other things out of position (such as the man recessed in the entryway), but it's a perspective I think would be worth seeing.

In a perfect situation, you are totally right.
There are a few factors that made a better shot not so easy.
These buildings are quite old and the right angles just don't exist as the structure has shifted and settled.
That man absolutely didn't want to be photographed (he just had words with our Cuban photographer guide) and I didn't want to draw attention to myself by moving into a better position. Seconds after this shot, he went inside so I had to settle.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back