snerd

Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
internetwhispers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Art is uniquely human and tied directly to culture. It takes the ordinary andmakes it extraordinary. It asks questions about who we are, what we value,the meaning of beauty and the human condition. As an expressive medium itallows us to experience sublime joy, deep sorrow, confusion and clarity. It tests our strengths, vulnerabilities and resolve. It gives voice to ideas and feelings,connects us to the past, reflects the present and anticipates the future. Alongthese lines, art history, combined with anthropology and literature, are three main sources in observing, recording and interpreting our human past. Visual art is a rich and complex subject whose definition is in flux as the culture around it changes. Because of this, how we define art is in essence a question of agreement. In this respect, we can look again to the dictionary’s definition for an understanding of exactly what to look for when we proclaim something as ‘art’........
Probably very old stuff for you artistic folks. However, I'm not a "learned" man. I found this free art appreciation course and have already started tonight. Is this a course that I will get something out of? Do any of you have other free resources to share? I have zero exposure to "the arts" as they're called. Hoping to increase my sense of "seeing light" and "appreciating" photography-related resources to inch me along, maybe. Thanks!

ART 100 – Art Appreciation

I would take it. Art appreciation in college helped me IMMENSELY in becoming more art literate. Not in a snobby condescending way, but more in a "Even if I don't like the aesthetics of a work, I can still see its beauty and merits (or lack therof)" sort of way.

Yeah, I think you should get something out of it, though I don't think that course will help you particularly in seeing light. It may help you look at works of art in a slightly different way though, especially if you've never had any exposure to any formal teachings about art.

Reading more about art is never a bad thing and can only expand your horizons.

Yeah go for it, what harm can it do.

I went to a Damien Hirst exhibition in Doha and apart from the skull I did not get anything out of it. I dont think I will ever appreciate the art of a dead cow in a box.

Go for it. You may decide you like it enough to take a couple of drawing classes, then you can make some NSFW charcoals.

Sounds great. I think reading about and looking at paintings is as valuable as studying photography specifically.

As far as 'seeing light', pay attention to how painters use light to 'steer' a viewers eye.
Remember this visual art truism - Light advances, dark recedes.
In other words humans pay more attention to areas of a visual image that are bright than to the darker areas.

As with anything, you get out of it what you put into it. Given the fact that you are voluntarily seeking this out and committing to doing this, I imagine you're planning on going into it with an open mind and willingness to learn, so yes, you're going to get something out of it.

Then you can come and teach the rest of us! :icon_smile:

Sneed, I took art appreciation in college. Wished u would have paid more attention to class than the girls. Lol

take it. That way if you think something is total garbage you can say as much so in a more politically correct way

I have zero exposure to "the arts" as they're called.
Are you from another dimension then? Take the course and you may be astounded to lern how much our everyday lives are influenced by "The Arts".

..... Are you from another dimension then? ......

twilight-zone.jpg

One is usually loath to confess ignorance of such matters. There is always someone there to point out their inadequacies.

One is usually loath to confess ignorance of such matters. There is always someone there to point out their inadequacies.

And those persons are the truly ignorant.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back