Art/Craft Shows and General Info - I have a lot of questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So "art" is defined by price?

I want to do shows and galleries for the local exposure and to make contacts in my local art scene. Initially, shows turn a higher gross profit than selling prints online. Eventually, I want to expand my online business far beyond myself. Overhead per unit = I want lots of units sold therefore I require lots of units hence reaching out to other photographers who aren't prepared to incur the expenses of starting a business.

You make a very good point about my filler photos. I saw them as place holders but you're right - a crappy photo can damage the integrity of all my photos. I'll work on that! Thank you!

I'm not saying art is defined by price. When somebody buys a piece of art they want something special. There is nothing special about the wall decorations they sell at Walmart.

Seriously pick up a copy of the book Marketing Fine Art Photography
http://www.amazon.com/Marketing-Fine-Photography-Alain-Briot/dp/1933952555

If you want to go the Walmart model then fine but don't expect people to view your work as fine art.

I would be surprised if you got into a juried art show if the people looking over the applications see that you sell mouse pads on your website.

I haven't even seen one person who uses a mouse pad at all in years.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In addition to all the above, make a small investment in some business training:
Marketing Fine Art Photography

To generate online print sales you will have to advertise, market and promote to drive eyes to your web site.

It's a great book. I laughed when after I linked to it a second time on this thread I saw that you also linked to it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you want to be a "Wal*Mart" of photography, I think you are well on your way with your abundant use of selective color.

Lol, definitely a tough row to hoe and I may fail. This is my starting point and my website looks like it was built by a middle schooler. I'm upgrading as my budget allows. I'm a Navy vet married to an active duty Sailor. It takes more than a little pessimism to keep me down. Maybe my photos aren't great and my business plan is unrealistic but I'm not going to take anyone's word on it just because it sounds like a pipe dream. I'm absorbing the parts that are helpful and that actually address my listed questions. I'm reading the otherwise unsolicited advice and giving it due weight...but I ain't quitting yet, lol.

Thank you BITTER JEWELER for your constructive criticism! Oh wait, the constructive part was missing...?

BEAT UP ON THE NOOB! CALLING ALL INTERNET BULLIES!

Lol, definitely a tough row to hoe and I may fail. This is my starting point and my website looks like it was built by a middle schooler. I'm upgrading as my budget allows. I'm a Navy vet married to an active duty Sailor. It takes more than a little pessimism to keep me down. Maybe my photos aren't great and my business plan is unrealistic but I'm not going to take anyone's word on it just because it sounds like a pipe dream. I'm absorbing the parts that are helpful and that actually address my listed questions. I'm reading the otherwise unsolicited advice and giving it due weight...but I ain't quitting yet, lol.

Nobody is saying to pull the car over and quite the race. We are just trying to point out some potholes your probably gong to run into.

That's very polite of you to say Light Guru. It would hold more weight had you not "liked" Bitter Jeweler's completely non-constructive post.

Thanks to everyone for their input but it appears that I've reached the input/offend threshold.

Have a good night!

Well, FLUCK! I was trying to make a damn dignified exit but I can't figure out how to delete my damn account.

*Um, does anyone know how to, um, I dunno...*

1) One of my biggest hurdles is mental. I'm still very self conscious about my work. The only feedback I've ever received is from family and friends. This is probably tacky but do you think I have enough good photos to submit for a juried show or gallery? Some of the photos on my website are sub-par but I needed a few place holders: www.AffordableWallDrama.com

In answer to your first question, no.
I couldn't find any photos that were reasonably well exposed and reasonably processed and that looked any different from thousands of casual snapshots.
Galleries run on the profits they make from print sales and they are pretty picky about the quality of person they give wall space to and, more important, they want to be able to have work that sells for good money.
I go to a bunch of fairs every year to see art and the work you are showing online isn't yet even at local fair level caliber.

You will be putting thousands into stock to be ready to sell a product that doesn't yet exist.

I can't figure out how to delete my damn account.

*Um, does anyone know how to, um, I dunno...*
There is no way to delete your account.
However, you can edit your posts so only a single period remains, delete any images you have posted in the forums or in your TPF Gallery (including your avatar). Obviously, you cannot edit other peoples posts, nor can you delete any threads you have started.

If you stop posting, you will by default join the ranks of non-active members.

I regret the rudeness of some of the replies here, IOMH. Whether your work will get you into a fair or not is not up to us. Regardless, TPF prides itself on friendly discourse and you did not receive that in some of these replies.

Stick to your guns, keep shooting - and learning! We were all beginners once, and there is such a thing as a "learning curve" in everything we try. :) Take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back