Art Institute?

michael9000000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello folks! I'd like some feedback...

In April 2014, I'll be retiring from the Navy after 20 years of service. When that time comes, I'd like to make a serious effort to become a portrait photographer as a second career.

My education benefits will give me a free ride to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, all the way up to a Bachelor's of Science in Photography... The opportunity is really tempting in so many ways.

Does anyone here have any first hand experience with the Art Institutes? Does anyone here have a B.S. in photography?

Thoughts and opinions please...

I would do some internet research on the reviews of the Art Institutes, especially the AI of Pittsburgh. They are dreadful. They are deceiving. The AI's are for profit. I have 2 friends attending schools in Boston. One at the Museum of Fine Art (on the post 9/11 GI Bill) and another at Boston University's Center for Digital Imaging Arts- both of them they enjoy attending. Consider schools in other locations. This thread will mostly turn into one of suggestions getting some type of business degree but since you are asking about photography schools, the only thing I can recommend is run...run far away from the Art Institute schools.

Thank you for your service.

michael9000000 said:

In April 2014, I'll be retiring from the Navy after 20 years of service. When that time comes, I'd like to make a serious effort to become a portrait photographer as a second career.

My education benefits will give me a free ride to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, all the way up to a Bachelor's of Science in Photography... The opportunity is really tempting in so many ways.

Does anyone here have any first hand experience with the Art Institutes? Does anyone here have a B.S. in photography?

I know someone here went to one of the art institutes but I can't remember who. There have been some threads on AI as well and they definitely weren't favorable.

I don't have any experience with AI but you are probably better off going to a regular college and getting a business degree if you want to get in the photography business. You don't need a degree in photography to be a photographer and you can probably learn just as much, if not more, on your own or interning for a photographer. But that's just my opinion.

michael9000000 said:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...000-00-free-700-00-nikon-thoughts-please.html

I didn't even know you could get a BSc in photography.... That aside, while I have no personal experience, the vast majority of stories I have heard echo what Tee has posted. I would really look for a well regarded school.

michael9000000 said:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...000-00-free-700-00-nikon-thoughts-please.html

You found it!!! GOOD.. that way I don't have to look for it! lol!

As mentioned the key to financial success as a retail portrait photographer is more about business skills than photography skills.

Be sure and research the income range of retail portrait photographers.

The AI's are ungodly expensive for what they are. I don't trust them.

I went to the AI of Pittsburgh, would never do it again. They are shady as hell and there is no standardization to their classes. A lot of instructors just hand out grades, and if you ever leave their "admissions" telemarketing team will never leave you alone.

Get a business degree. The free market doesn't care how great of a photographer you are if you can't market your services, keep track of your books, and pay your taxes.

If you can afford to live away from PA, I would suggest RIT and Pratt. Both have solid commercial programs, and Pratt has a large fashion school - I am sure that the education there could easily be glamour/fashion oriented.

RIT actually has two separate programs for fine art and for communication art. However, both of these schools are extremely competitive.

Check with your local community college. Many offer photography programs and some may even offer a transferable AA of Fine Arts. I'd avoid any for profit school. They're just out to make money and they're overpriced. Just my $.02.

[Edit]
I just checked out the Community College of Allegheny County. In county tuition is $95.50 per credit. $6.3k for an AA and transfer to a 4 year college looks like a great value and they also offer business classes so you can get a balanced education on the cheap.

Last edited:
Around 10 years ago I was going to take a Web Design course at a school in Vancouver. The course was $22,000 for two years. When I saw the price I though to hell with that. The year after the school was bought out by "The Art Institute" and the cost of the course went up to around $35,000 for the two year program.

You need to run the other direction. Even though you wont be paying for the program. Go to a university to public community college for your education. One thing to remember about the AI is they are a for profit school. Just like ITT Tech, Devry University of Phoenix and so on. I was invited to put a tender in on a contract for one of the mentioned schools two years ago. The director of facilities was so happy to say 99% of their students are employed after leaving making on average $35,000 a year. Thats next the minimum wage for what amounts to 10 or 15 years of student load debt.

Most reactions

Back