Art show advice needed.

D-50

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I will be displpaying 3 to 4 photos in an upcoming art show in Boston. This will be my first formal show and I was wondering what type of photography is best to show. I know there is no clear answer to this but any guidence/suggestions would be appreciated. My work is heavier on the landscape, nature side but I do have a decent amount of urban work as well. Do landscapes/cityscapes do well or should I go with shots that are more focused on an object/person?

great q as I would love the same answer, never had my work part of a show before...

i would guess you would want to show a range of work as to attempt at appealing to many as opposed to appealing few. If you knew the typical people/crowd preferences that would naturally work to your benefit

i would display something that someone would want to see on their walls in their home, something that someone would bring with them to work (portraits?) perhaps something from an event? and something else

you are selling yourself with your work in a round about way

We've been shown at a few galleries, but they were already pretty specific on what they wanted.
Is this a gallery or a shop? If it's a shop, what kind of shop is it?

Its an art show at a restaraunt

I will be displpaying 3 to 4 photos in an upcoming art show in Boston. This will be my first formal show and I was wondering what type of photography is best to show. I know there is no clear answer to this but any guidence/suggestions would be appreciated. My work is heavier on the landscape, nature side but I do have a decent amount of urban work as well. Do landscapes/cityscapes do well or should I go with shots that are more focused on an object/person?

It depends on the purpose for the show, your audience and whether the intention is to for example sell to individuals and if it is, where are those individuals likely to put any photo that they have purchased from you. Are we talking about highly sophisticated buyers or an average middle class type who needs something on the wall of his/her study, home office, or library? Define the nature of your potential buyers and you are more likely to choose the right works.

skieur

Take a look at their menu/ wine list and prices. This can tell you a lot about the people who will be attending. If the prices are fairly high and wines from a variety of well respected vineyards. It I safe to assume based monetarily and by the fact that they are at an art show, that many of the people there will have been to many art shows, and have probably purchased items as well. They will likely have more scrutinizing tastes and enjoy specific types of art. you may need to think about what exactly will interest that crowd.

If the menu is more moderate, then the buyers may not have had as much exposure to different styles, this situation may allow you to broaden your range of shots, because the group of attendees is likely to be more diverse.

Its an art show at a restaraunt

Ok, then it's a free for all. Pick your very most faves. Double matt them. And then matt them again on the outside. Sign them on the actual photo, and have contact info on the matt.
Hope that helps.
Please share the photos you use. A virtual showing. :)

Diversity. Show YOUR dynamic range of photography. No matter the venue, you never know who's walking through it.

Depends upon your purpose. Are you trying to get people to go "damn--that's some photographer--I need to look them up!"? Or to buy your prints? Or to stop and look? For instance, since there are likely to be a lot of other prints on the wall, than distinctive or unique subjects with bright light and strong colors are more likely to get noticed. Doesn't mean they'll sell. If you want to show off your range as a photographer than you pick a couple of different concepts or subjects. If you have a couple of photos you feel are award worthy (and hope to get in to a local gallery) than use this show to build some modest cred for them. And audience matters--a restaurant that is upper scale or attracts a younger crowd or has a funky feel to it is going to get certain types of dinners.

Generally speaking, if you want to sell photos, than pick landscapes or iconic settings and avoid art nudes, street photography or portraits (b/c most people don't buy art nudes to display in their living room, and photos of strangers prompt the question of visitors "who is that?" and they can't answer by saying "no idea, I thought it was a cool photo so I bought it.").

Again, there are exceptions to any rule or even any general tip. But start by being clear about YOUR intentions (what you want to get out of this) and the general group likely to be viewing your photos.

Most reactions

Back