Artifacts introduced into image when using flash - is this normal ?

musical_cosmos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Photographers,

Recently I purchased a Nikon D5200, and i was trying out different modes and just experimenting with it.

I found an anomaly with the pictures I took with and without flash.
The images that I took without flash are fine, but with flash turned on, there are strange lighting artifacts that pop up into the image.
I have attached 2 examples.

Is this normal ?
Is my camera defective ?
Is this because the lens are not clean ?

Thanks.

Attachments

• $1. Without  flash 1.JPG
    $1. Without flash 1.JPG
    458.3 KB · Views: 147
  • $2. With flash 1.JPG
    $2. With flash 1.JPG
    468.5 KB · Views: 157
  • $3. Without flash 2.JPG
    $3. Without flash 2.JPG
    634.7 KB · Views: 180
  • $4. With flash 2.JPG
    $4. With flash 2.JPG
    572.9 KB · Views: 177
I'm obviously not seeing what you see. I don't see any artifacts, only reflections. You will certainly get reflections when using a flash, especially one that isn't diffused.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I am very new at this, so forgive my dumb questions, and incorrect use of words. May be it was reflections and not artifacts.

In the images where there is a mirror, i can see reflections. I get that now.

But in the images with the dart board, with the flash turned on, i see a ghostly haze right below the dart board. Now is that a reflection too ? it looks weird.
In fact i have other images with the dart board, and flash turned on where the haze is more pronounced.

No need to apologize, everyone starts at some point or another. Your question isn't dumb if it's something you don't understand.

I saw the haze below the dart board as well and assumed it was a reflection from the glass in the door to the right. It could also be "Flare" from something else off to the side if you didn't have a lens hood on the lens.

Reflections when using a flash are commonplace and they aren't always obvious before the shot since they only appear during the pulse of light from the flash. The easiest way to eliminate or reduce most of them is to diffuse the flash. This can be done with the use of a soft-box or umbrella when using off-camera flash or a diffuser dome on the flash when using an on-camera speedlight. If you are just using the pop-up flash it is more difficult since the axis of the flash is so close to the axis of the lens, however a couple of layers of tissue held over the flash with a rubber band will help a great deal.

There is a lot of good information pertaining to using a flash on This Site and many books have been written on the subject.

But in the images with the dart board, with the flash turned on, i see a ghostly haze right below the dart board. Now is that a reflection too ? it looks weird.
In fact i have other images with the dart board, and flash turned on where the haze is more pronounced.
If you're talking about the bright line just under it that follows the curve of it, that's a reflection off the dart board's metal rim.

If you're talking about the rest of the reflections, then:

51617d1375530424-artifacts_questions.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Scott.
I'll use a tissue over the pop-up flash and check the images.
If the flare does not go away, I'll purchase a hood for my lens.

Hi Buckster,

I get it now that the bright line following the dart board's metal rim is a reflection.

But the haze that i am referring to is actually about 1.5 cm below the dart board's rim.

Hi Buckster,

I get it now that the bright line following the dart board's metal rim is a reflection.

But the haze that i am referring to is actually about 1.5 cm below the dart board's rim.

That's the flash reflecting off the rim of the dartboard.

Hi Buckster,

Above is a white ceiling - not an oil based paint - so it is dull and does not shine.
Below is a white marble floor, pock marked with dark colours - dull polish - should not reflect a lot of light.

thanks.

Hi Buckster,

Above is a white ceiling - not an oil based paint - so it is dull and does not shine.
Below is a white marble floor, pock marked with dark colours - dull polish - should not reflect a lot of light.

thanks.
It's not a question of WILL light reflect off of a surface, it always will. The question is how much it will reflect. If you can see the surface with your eyes then light is already reflecting from it. Matte surfaces and dark colors reflect less light than glossy surfaces and light colors, however they do still reflect. Also keep in mind that light reflecting from a surface will pick up a color cast from that surface. If you bounce a flash off of a red wall, for example, the light from the flash will take on a red cast.

Most reactions

Back