Artistic License

doli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, this one is one of my favorites!
There was no cropping or color alterations... what I shot is what you see. I used a 3 MP Olympus...

Ok, the photo is intential as it is... so this critique-- why do you like it? why don't you? How does it make you feel? I've recieved a very broad rage of interprutations from more of the layman public, but now I want to know what photographers see...
contentment.jpg

thanks everyone!

I like the photo, but can you re crop it so I can see the model...
hahaha, jk

I like how she seems so happy yet she seems to be dark and is not the brightest and lightest of fairys...maybe shes got a evil side...her smile is devilish and makes me think she may have done somthing bad...

overall it gives me a good feeling...

love it.
i love the negative space because it gives the impression of a 'moment' rather than a 'story' which most photos offer... it's more emotional.
i like the wings and you've just got enough of that smile in to give the photo it's life. :)

I don't like that the model is blurred. I'd rather see her sharp.

I'm with mentos on this...the whole thing looks out of focus. Maybe you should tell us what you like, don't like, and how it makes you feel. For me personally this does nothing. The negative space is dominant, the subject out of focus, and I don't really have any feelings toward it. What makes this one of your favorites?

I think that it might be the sense of movement in her hair that makes it appear blurred, although the rest of it is not that bad, but what is the point of the shot? am i missing something?

interpretation is art... if there is no point then that is the point, right?

In terms of my quarrels with the picture, I will refer you back to Amanda and Mentos. But as far as my feelings on the photo itself I think maybe just a little more of the girls face in the shot would have helped. I am huge on eyes and the depth they can add and without them this shot seems a little dull. She is smiling, and the eyes might give a bigger hint as to what she is smiling at or what kind of smile it is, kind or wicked. The wings are a nice addition and give a good contrast to the left side of the shot.

kilifila66 said:
In terms of my quarrels with the picture, I will refer you back to Amanda and Mentos. But as far as my feelings on the photo itself I think maybe just a little more of the girls face in the shot would have helped. I am huge on eyes and the depth they can add and without them this shot seems a little dull. She is smiling, and the eyes might give a bigger hint as to what she is smiling at or what kind of smile it is, kind or wicked. The wings are a nice addition and give a good contrast to the left side of the shot.

So you're not down with the tease....

I guess I was unclear with what I was asking as a critique... as I am not looking to reshoot this photo-- it is what it is.
What I was asking is what you saw... how it made you feel... if the photographer can step outside the guildlines of what is taught and see what is there.

I am not being arrogant... I love the eyes more then anything in a photo. It's what I look to first-- and this is not technically the most perfect photo.. it was taken and not altered. there was one attempt and no second for just incase it was soft, underlit... cropped poorly.

Thanks you all for the feedback. Everything was useful-- even if what I asked was not answered.

Doli

Most reactions

New Topics

Back