Artistic nudes

Dinosinmysoup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.paintedhorizonphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Someone asked me to take some artistic nudes for them. This is not something I typically do. I want to be able to put my subject at ease. And I obviously want the photos to be tasteful. Any general advice would be appreciated.

Alcohol.
If that doesn't work, try some benzodiazapines. 2-4 MG should be enough to take the edge off.

Make sure the subject is of age, just to be safe insist they must be 35 years or older :)

You guys are a big help! lol

I don't do this type photography but having taken art classes there are nude models for figure drawing classes; that's of course being done in a supervised situation. Doing this on your own I would think about having an assistant, and/or having the client bring along someone else so you are not in a situation of being alone with the client.

I'd find out more specifically what the client wants - what exactly is 'artistic' nudes? Seems open to interpretation. I'd discuss poses etc. and keep within agreed guidelines. Not sure if that needs to be specified in a contract or not, try American Society of Media Photographers or PPA for examples.

You guys are a big help! lol

I don't do this type photography but having taken art classes there are nude models for figure drawing classes; that's of course being done in a supervised situation. Doing this on your own I would think about having an assistant, and/or having the client bring along someone else so you are not in a situation of being alone with the client.

I'd find out more specifically what the client wants - what exactly is 'artistic' nudes? Seems open to interpretation. I'd discuss poses etc. and keep within agreed guidelines. Not sure if that needs to be specified in a contract or not, try American Society of Media Photographers or PPA for examples.
Cool. Thanks!

Just my opinion but, if this is not the style of photography you typically shoot, why did this person ask you to do what you don't do?

If I were looking for a photographer to take some posed photos of an infant, I wouldn't go to the shooter skilled in wildlife or landscapes.

If I knew just a bit about photography I'd realize they probably don't have the equipment to do the posed infant shots.

If I were the photographer and someone knew nothing about photography but assumed shooting infants is the same as shooting landscapes, then I'd first assess what my challenges would be taking on such a job.

"Artistic" photography is a whole 'nother ball o'wax than what you shoot, right? Do you have the skills and the equipment required for such a job?

d4b.jpg

Okay,
Here's my opinion as a lady first;
You have to put your model at ease, it is the most important thing. Joke with him\her, you can do some test shots when the model is already naked, so he's getting used to his nakedness, talk about anything while you set your lights. I did some lingerie photo not even naked with a friend of mine, who's also a photographer and even if I can be quite the exhibitionist sometimes, I was super self conscious, I took me around 45 min to get a bit more confortable.

Now for artistic nude, you want nice lighting, you want texture, use water, use ice, use oil. I was quite fortunate the first time I did artistic nude as my model was a dancer (not exotic, real dancer) so we used her passion to create something togerther. It might be your eyes, but don't forget, you are a team, include him or her, Always ask if you want to replace something as it might be tricky. Don't look at the model like he's naked, it's nothing more than a body, it shouldn't be sexualised, you should rather emphasize on the beauty. I don't know if it makes sense.

Most reactions

Back