Artistic Statements

Sia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wondering if anyone has had to ever do one? And if so, what genre of photography did they select and why? I have to do one and I am just looking for input. Thanks a bunch:hug::

it depends on the field you're more interested in..I had to do one once and chose fashion..what field in photography are you interested the most?

I did one to go with my last class project. I just wrote a couple of paragraphs about my vision for the photos and how it related to me.

hsoto said:
it depends on the field you're more interested in..I had to do one once and chose fashion..what field in photography are you interested the most?

Well, I try not to subject myself to just one style. I njoy landscape, people, flowers, and objects. I did one photo so far. I gathered a bunch of leaves and spelled out I <3 U. Cheesy but I liked it. I see it done in sand a lot, so I said y not.

An artist statement isn't so much about what you are doing, but why you are doing it and why it's important to you.

Sia said:
Well, I try not to subject myself to just one style. I njoy landscape, people, flowers, and objects. I did one photo so far. I gathered a bunch of leaves and spelled out I <3 U. Cheesy but I liked it. I see it done in sand a lot, so I said y not.

well the it seems like you like nature a lot...you might wanna try to do it on that :)

Make sure you include lotsa artspeak so you sound intellectual and deep.

because artists can't actually be intellectual and deep.

I often say that learning to BS is the most important part of going to art school.

A good artist statement is an excellent marketing tool, and all that BS suddenly becomes insight once you get an opening.

LOL. Only until I get a showing!

No. My statements are under developed, and they come across as scattered. But I really am trying to be intentional.

Forming a good artist statement takes time and consideration.

We need c. cloudwalker to come in here and blast the artist statement concept all-to-hell!!! lol

bølge/wave by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Why did I take this picture, you might ask? To me, taking pictures isn't about saving the moment. It is not about doing something that matters to me personally. It is not about making other people feel inspired. Why, then, do I do it? I take pictures because there's a hole inside me that fills up each time I press that shutter. The hole would eat me alive, if I did I not take pictures. That is why I took this picture. I feel it expresses exactly those reasons. Just look at the contrast in it. It's black and white. Black represents the hole - white represents the filling of the hole. Notice the eye? That's my conscience, always watching me, telling me to fill the hole. The white pupils represent hope in a otherwise black place.
I placed the the eye up left, as there's where our living room window is when I sit in the couch. The window is a source of light in an otherwise dark room.

This photograph is very nice, detailed, and some what exotic. Did you notice the eye after the picture was shot? I mean it had to of been....I mean it is water for the form is constantly changing. Your words of choice was to the point, like a poem in more of less words.

Most reactions

Back