ARW files & LR not working

0ptics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased the Sony A7iii; when I try to import ARW files from my SD to my LR non-classic 2015.9 (Verison 6.3), I get an error pop-up message saying "The file cannot be opened by Lightroom. (1)."

I'm currently running Windows 8.1 and cannot update my LR since I don't have Windows 10; however, the price for Windows 10 is $139...Is this what's stopping me from being able to edit ARW files on LR?

I'd prefer to continue to use LR and not other programs (eg. CaptureOne).

According to Adobe, for the A7iii, the Minimum Lightroom CC version required is 1.3 & Minimum Lightroom Classic CC version required is 7.3.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.htmlMinimum Lightroom CC version required

Last edited:
I´m afraid you have to update to a newer version of lightroom. And yes, if that requires to update windows, that might be your only choice. I hate the fact that they are not updating lightroom 6.

Older versions of LR won't read the raw files from new cameras; Adobe (like many software companies) stop updating and supporting the older versions.

Alternately, if Sony provided basic editing software that allows you to save the ARW files to something like TIFF, you can just convert then import the TIFFs into LR. I had to do that when I upgraded from the D40 to the D750 and still had LR-3. I ultimately went wit LR CC.

Last edited:
Get Adobe's FREE program, Adobe DNG Converter. Batch Convert the raw files to .DNG format (super easy to do!) and your copy of Lightroom will then be able to access he files.

Get Adobe's FREE program, Adobe DNG Converter. Batch Convert the raw files to .DNG format (super easy to do!) and your copy of Lightroom will then be able to access he files.
This man has the answer to everything. Love it! ;)

I haven't heard of this one -- thanks, Derrel. We owe you a TPF Cafeteria burrito.

If your hardware supports Windows 10. Try the following, this MAY get you a free upgrade.
Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

Note: For Lightroom Classic, you need at least version 7.3 to import the Sony A7III files directly.

Otherwise, you can download the latest Adobe Bridge and convert the files to DNG before importing in Lr.

I asked the same question a few months ago and Derrel set me straight with the .dng converter. I now convert all my raw files to dng as they are smaller and I can mix files from my D750 and D7500. My version of LR will read raw from the D750 but not the D7500.

Adobe Digital Negative Converter

Older versions of LR won't read the raw files from new cameras; Adobe (like many software companies) stop updating and supporting the older versions.

Alternately, if Sony provided basic editing software that allows you to save the ARW files to something like TIFF, you can just convert then import the TIFFs into LR. I had to do that when I upgraded from the D40 to the D750 and still had LR-3. I ultimately went wit LR CC.

What's interesting is that I'm able to open the ARW files on my LR CC classic (Verison 7.5) on Windows 8.1. I dont get why my non-classic is verison 6.3+requires Windows 10.

So confusing lol...

Thanks for the tip! I heard that DNG files reduce the quality of the image; however, after doing some research it seems like this is a myth, ya?

I asked the same question a few months ago and Derrel set me straight with the .dng converter. I now convert all my raw files to dng as they are smaller and I can mix files from my D750 and D7500. My version of LR will read raw from the D750 but not the D7500.

My only concern is the extra time needed to convert ARW to DNG; my laptop is getting old so I'd hate to take any extra step just to edit. Also, do you know if converting ARW to DNG will reduce the image/file's quality since it reduced the file size?

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip! I heard that DNG files reduce the quality of the image; however, after doing some research it seems like this is a myth, ya?

Depends on the settings. When you convert to DNG, you can either compress, do a lossy compression, or do nothing. Guess which two may have data loss?
The other item to note: If you use Adobe Bridge, this will give the same result from RAW as LightRoom (it is a shared code base). However, on a few forums I have read that the Sony application will sometimes handle the raw file in a better manor than the converted DNG.

Tim

My only concern is the extra time needed to convert ARW to DNG; my laptop is getting old so I'd hate to take any extra step just to edit. Also, do you know if converting ARW to DNG will reduce the image/file's quality since it reduced the file size?

Thanks!

Well, your application can NOT even open the files so that you can edit them,and it's going to take only a fairly short amount of time to batch-convert them to .DNG format. So I guess you'll have to either spend time converting from an un-usable format, to one that can be used, or buy new software. As far as time, yes it takes time, and yes, it adds an extra step. As to the slowness of your laptop: I began Photoshop use in the 1990's with a Macintosh 7100/80...probably 10 times sloooooooower than your "old" laptop. As far as speed goes, YOU (and Me) are the slowest part of the editing process. Speed is relative.

Thanks!
The DNG converter is free so try it and see if you like it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back