As a beginner...Nikon D5100 !!

Thank you all for this constructive discussion. After reading some reviews, I got the idea that Nikon D5100 is a nice combination of good performance and convincing price right now. I thought I would spend some time with the DSLR to learn how to operate it properly after purchase. DSLR cameras really provide great photos that are significantly different from the point and shoot cameras. The image quality is the main factor that makes me decide to buy a DSLR.
The thing is that a DSLR DOESN'T provide a better image than a point and shoot. The camera doesn't do anything different. The person operating the camera does that. If you are buying a DSLR expecting better images than a bridge point and shoot you are going to be sorely disappointed. It requires an education to get that amazing image quality out of them. The camera doesn't do it. It's the same with the bridge cameras. The user can bring forth amazing images or the camera can create the average image.

The thing is that a DSLR DOESN'T provide a better image than a point and shoot. The camera doesn't do anything different. The person operating the camera does that. If you are buying a DSLR expecting better images than a bridge point and shoot you are going to be sorely disappointed. It requires an education to get that amazing image quality out of them. The camera doesn't do it. It's the same with the bridge cameras. The user can bring forth amazing images or the camera can create the average image.

I agree with you. I thought I would spend enough time to know the camera well. By the way, Nikon D5200 has been announced already. But I think it would be expensive. DSLR camera has one problem from my point of view. I can't take it any where always because of its size. I am thinking of Sony RX100. But it is still expensive as a compact camera. I am waiting for the Christmas sale. But I am not sure which one I will buy. Still thinking....

Um, DSLRs operate much faster, are much easier to use, allow much more powerful control over the photographic process ... and yes, they DO have better quality that (most) point and shoot. More color resolution, more dynamic range, more high ISO tolerance, faster autofocus, ability for shallow depth of field ... you name it, DSLRs have it. Thats what high quality optics and large sensors are all about.

There are a few exceptional p&s that get close or even reach the quality of system cameras, such as for sure the Fujifilm Finepix X100, the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1, maybe with some wiggle room also the Canon Powershot G1 X, the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100, the Panasonic LX7, and more of the higher quality ones - but your average p&s wont.

I think the main question here is ....what are you going to do with the images after you photograph something ..... remember you can always step up to a "better" camera later. I carry a Cannon PowerShot everywhere, it is 7.1 mp and i never miss a shot because I did not take my "real" camera with me.

Solarflare said:
Um, DSLRs operate much faster, are much easier to use, allow much more powerful control over the photographic process ... and yes, they DO have better quality that (most) point and shoot. More color resolution, more dynamic range, more high ISO tolerance, faster autofocus, ability for shallow depth of field ... you name it, DSLRs have it. Thats what high quality optics and large sensors are all about.

There are a few exceptional p&s that get close or even reach the quality of system cameras, such as for sure the Fujifilm Finepix X100, the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1, maybe with some wiggle room also the Canon Powershot G1 X, the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100, the Panasonic LX7, and more of the higher quality ones - but your average p&s wont.

Lmao, dude, this post has officially pushed me over the edge with your extremely overrated "facts" based solely on your freaking opinion and reading too many damn magazines.

The 5100 has an exceptional sensor, however, for you to act like dSLRs have an IQ advantage over bridge or p&s cameras is an extremely biased and opinionated statement.

Go ahead, I know your stupid ass is going to hop on snapsort or some other comparison website and post comparable links to dSLRs to p&s cameras.

However, be realistic. This isn't David Burnette behind the viewfinder we are talking about comparing cameras. We are talking about the average user, who has no idea how to use a dSLR, and has really no desire to spend a lot of time learning how to use it. Need I bring up the fact that to get some of the shots he desires, he's going to have to swap lenses, and purchase new ones. Whereas, with a good p&s or bridge (and for the amount he's going to spend on your d7000 mini, he will be able to buy one hell of a p&s or bridge), he can just turn on the damn camera and shoot. Not to mention, with his experience level, the images will come out better on the bridge or p&s as well.

So, please take your opinionated bs knowledge somewhere where people actually want to read it.

By the way, keith, I already know I'm going to get a warning for this, or any other mod that might be reading, so go right ahead.

Most reactions

Back