As per Ken Rockwell..............he says

i applaud your thread title for bringing many people into your thread. everyone loves to jump on ken. while he site isnt great, it does have some useful info and nice product shots.

as far as the d7000 goes, its a very capable camera. i like to use single point for focusing. if your having a problem with focusing do a test with a tripod and using live view mode and zoom in and use smallest f-stop value or largest aperture possible. then review the photos and make sure the lens is focusing correctly and doesnt need AF fine tune. which you can do with the d7000 if needed.

most likely a little bit of improvement in technique will fix your focusing problems. i have a d800 now and i can tell you the d7000 focus isnt must worse, if any

Last edited:
matthewo said:
i applaud your thread title for bringing many people into your thread. everyone loves to jump on ken. while he site isnt great, it does have some useful info and nice product shots.

as far as the d7000 goes, its a very capable camera. i like to use single point for focusing. if your having a problem with focusing do a test with a tripod and using live view mode and zoom in and use smallest aperture possible. then review the photos and make sure the lens is focusing correctly and doesnt need AF fine tune. which you can do with the d7000 if needed.

most likely a little bit of improvement in technique will fix your focusing problems. i have a d800 now and i can tell you the d7000 focus isnt must worse, if any

Wouldn't you want the largest aperture for a focus test??

yes im sorry, im thinking smallest f stop value

Pan with daughter until buffer fills up (11 shots in RAW, 15 in JPEG). Repeat until memory card is full.

If I lock my center FP while in AF-C , everytime I pan do I need to depress the shutter halfway, keep it depressed between each shot, or just shoot away. Should I try a burst mode? WTH is my buffer/pan lol? I know what panning means...................

Thanks everyone, BTW...great tips as usual!!!

Pan with daughter until buffer fills up (11 shots in RAW, 15 in JPEG). Repeat until memory card is full.

If I lock my center FP while in AF-C , everytime I pan do I need to depress the shutter halfway, keep it depressed between each shot, or just shoot away. Should I try a burst mode? WTH is my buffer/pan lol? I know what panning means...................

Thanks everyone, BTW...great tips as usual!!!

your buffer is the amount of pictures your camera will hold until it needs to write them to the card. So when you hold the shutter down in burst mode, it is the amount of pictures it will take until you notice the shutter speed to lag. For action a burst mode is very very helpful. Pan with daughter just means follow her movement with the camera. Pan the camera with her movements.

Shooting action is tough, and the fact that she is moving back and forth and not just one direction is even tougher, It is important to pan well with her, and keep focus on.

If none of this works then set the focus to where her face would be where you want it manually and shoot it in manual focus every time your daughter moves up to the same point. Pre-focus.

Yes! That's what shutter release mode Ch is and it's why I said to hold the shutter button down. Pan with her. Keep her head right in the center of the viewfinder as she moves, and just SHOOT. The frame buffer will fill up after 11 shots in RAW (15 in JPEG) and then it will take a couple of seconds to clear before you can shoot again. If you shoot 500 shots, so what? It costs nothing except having to recharge the battery occasionally. Let your camera worry about the exposure and focus, all you have to do is keep her head right in the center of the viewfinder.

When I shoot action events (motorcycle and auto races, air shows, etc.) I usually come away with about 10 times as many shots as I want. I'd rather do that than miss the one that I do want.

Last edited:
zamanakhan said:
Ken Rockwell is kinda like the snooki of photography, we all love to hate him but we know who he is and why he is famous.
Sig'd.

zamanakhan said:
Ken Rockwell is kinda like the snooki of photography, we all love to hate him but we know who he is and why he is famous.
Sig'd.

awesome, glad you liked that.

The more i think about it, the more i feel it to be true. I think its finally ok for me to admit that i like reading his material, mostly for entertainment purposes.

I said it before and I say it again: I am a photography newbie and have no trouble with "getting" Ken Rockwell.

You have to use your brain and not take everything literal and at face value. He writes entertainingly and he writes his opinion. I never had trouble understanding that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back