As per request. STILL trying.

AMOMENT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was uploading many of my RAW data photos as jpeg photos on here. I downloated a DNG converter so that I could work with my RAW files on PSE. Finally fill light means something to me! haha. Here are a few photos of some ADORABLE CHILDREN who are not mine and who will not mind me posting them. The very last one is a still life. I hated every minute of it, haha, but took your advice, and took a few. Here is one. (hangs head in shame) I know they all are flawed, but I'm in the process of learning. (having fun while doing so)

redo6.jpg

redo5.jpg

redo2.jpg

redo3.jpg

redo4.jpg

redo7.jpg

number 5 looks too yellow.

I like #3 a lot! Good composition, and good job getting her to look toward the camera!

Well done getting a RAW convertor :thumbup:

You should go study composition for a month, then come back and post for critique.

Bitter voices what jumps out at him, and I have to agree. A good composition is paramount to making (not taking) a good photograph. There are some fairly simple rules to learn, use and break.

These definitely have improvement over what you were posting. The fill light in editing-don't depend on it. get your exposure right in camera and use your curves (second tab) to achieve the look you want in the image. The processing part will come.
Yes, you need composition, but you need to let us know that you aren't working on the perfect image, but setting exposure and metering and what you were trying to achieve in these images.
Your still life has issues, it's underexposed and it's very soft. I believe it is just missed focus because your settings look pretty good
Manual mode, ISO 200, 1/250 and f/3.5. Your editing tells me that it was even more underexposed than it appears and it was also even softer because you have put in a MEGA clarity setting.
PART of the sharpness is the default noise removal in ACR. Open up an image in ACR and set the brightness to 0, go to the sharpening tab (3rd tab) and set the noise removal sliders both to 0 for now. Then up on the right hand side of the panel for ACR there are little tiny lines, click on them and at the bottom it will say something like save new camera raw defaults. That will remove that noise removal setting and the automatic brightening setting. You want to see your images as they are and see what you are doing wrong. The default noise removal in ACR is astronomically high. I RARELY use that much noise removal even when I am shooting at ISO 12800 on my older, crop sensor camera. It's WAY too much.

Bitter voices what jumps out at him, and I have to agree. A good composition is paramount to making (not taking) a good photograph. There are some fairly simple rules to learn, use and break.

You can learn SO MUCH MORE studying other peoples work than you can by posting for CC here everyday.
The rules may seem simple, but they are much deeper once you get beyond the surface.

Good move in getting the DNG converter so that you can use the software you have to handle your raw files!! That shows initiative in addressing part of the never-ending software equation of digital photography. Good job on that. As to MLeekS suggestion of using "Curves"...there was a time when PSE could not do curves...that was always a huge limitation of Photoshop Elements, but if your current version can do curves adjustments, that is indeed a very worthwhile area to learn how to work right. Curves are really a critical adjustment tool for most people...almost like the steering wheel in a car....just absolutely critical to get a photo where you want it "to go".

The library no doubt has some good books on photographic technique; I would suggest looking at the Kodak books...doesn't matter that they might be geared toward using film as the capture medium; Kodak had legions of photographers and writers on staff for many years, and they wrote some excellent books on how to do better family photos, and better photos of kids. Plus, the company specialized in writing and illustrating books for people who really wanted to LEARN photography.

I don't think Elements 9 (or camera raw for elements) has curves but I'm pretty sure you can get a plug-in for it. I had the plug-in when I used Elements 9 - I will try to find it for you and send you the link.

Erica - seriously go to Kaboom Your Photography! It is a great site for photoshop elements and has 100's of tutorials.

Here is the link for processing RAW files Photoshop Elements > Raw File Processing > 1

Photoshop Elements > Workflow > How to Edit

Its a great site!

These are better - you do need to work on your composition but you are improving! I think you still need to try and get down a little lower with the children. Trust me - it feels a little weird to be crawling around on the ground (especially out in public) but the shots will be worth it.

#4 and #5 are snapshots due to the composition. The stuff in the background doesn't add anything to the picture thus it shouldn't be there. Pay attention to everything that is in the frame.

You can learn SO MUCH MORE studying other peoples work than you can by posting for CC here everyday.
The rules may seem simple, but they are much deeper once you get beyond the surface.

So I'm still on the surface...

I really like the first shot actually, it has a story.. It's a bit cold (temp) but it works.

Couple things:

1. I agree, you need to work on composition - before you hit the shutter think, are their feet in the frame? Is their head? Did I cut them off at the elbows or knees? etc This will really help a ton
2. When you post process watch your color temp, your white balance is off in all of these shots, 3 is the closest.

Just take it one step at a time. Don't rush, it's not a race. Focus, setting, compose, breathe, press shutter

GL!!

Your focus is still coming out soft. try using a tripod.

I would suggest looking at the Kodak books...doesn't matter that they might be geared toward using film as the capture medium; Kodak had legions of photographers and writers on staff for many years, and they wrote some excellent books on how to do better family photos, and better photos of kids. Plus, the company specialized in writing and illustrating books for people who really wanted to LEARN photography.

I just finished Kodak's The Art Of Seeing: A Creative Approach To Photography and thought it was an outstanding book geared toward creative composition. It's old too, so it's cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Seeing-Creative-Approach-Photography/dp/0879857471

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back