Ascent

Yes! This is refreshing. Just an extremely well done photograph. No abstract, No HDR. Just a well done photo. Beautiful!

Yes! This is refreshing. Just an extremely well done photograph. No abstract, No HDR. Just a well done photo. Beautiful!
Nothing to add.

I generally like this, but I think the mountain's top sections look a wee bit too burned-in, meaning a bit too dark. Maybe back off a bit on the grad filter effect just a bit? I do "respect you as an artist" though, so, this old-timey, kind of 1950's-like-look is understood and appreciated!!! (tongue in cheek)

(I actually know this guy, for those of you who think I'm being a dick...so...ya know???)

im not generally a B&W fan...and i love this photo.

This below is what kills it for me.
The other deep black areas are detailed enough to work but these big blobs don't. $burntin.jpg

I think the dark shadows on the left of the peak make this photo look a lot more foreboding. I love this shot!

Thanks everyone for comments. It's interesting, it looks like the shadows on the peaks are the hot topic of this shot. I hadn't really thought about it much before posting. The large clouds cast sizeable, heavy shadows on the mountain peaks.

Derrel-- No ND Grad here! BW conversion was handled in silver effex.
Lew-- I do see quite a bit of detail in that area, even in your heavily cropped version, although it is much darker in relativity to the rest of the scene.

Lew-- I do see quite a bit of detail in that area, even in your heavily cropped version, although it is much darker in relativity to the rest of the scene.

I just clipped that portion out to point at it, it wasn't any intended crop, per se.
I understand that one can see gradations of tone by looking intently but my point was that those areas make a big, amorphous very dark blob on anything but close inspection and the 'weight' of them hurts the image for me.

Lew

A perfect black & white photograph. The best part is that instead of the fact that it is in monochrome, the variety of shades has been preserved.

My feeling is that it's a little top heavy. That is, it's dark at the top and light at the bottom, and my inner eye tells me that the natural order of things should be the other way round.

To me it looks natural the way it is. Your eye would have a hard time picking up a lot of shadow detail looking past the glaring snow and into the bright sky. These factors would make the shadows appear darker. There is just enough detail in the shadows to look naturally dark.
Personal preference, but I'd keep it the way it is.

Most reactions

Back