Asian version camera?

APHPHOTO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been looking at camera bodies on E-BAY and came across UK and Asian version bodies. What are the differenses? Seeing how all cameras come with like a million
options for differant languages, I cant see what would be differant.

I've been looking at camera bodies on E-BAY and came across UK and Asian version bodies. What are the differenses? Seeing how all cameras come with like a million
options for differant languages, I cant see what would be differant.

Warranties.... Grey market bodies won't have a warranty that will be honored by Nikon USA or Canon USA. You can't even pay to have it fixed, I believe... they won't even work on them.

The body I looked at offered a manufacturer waranty. Not saying its any good but thats what it said. The company is in Malaysia.

There may be some licensing issues with third party software and hardware. When a camera manufacturer builds a camera, they often times use pre-existing software and hardware for more basic things. It may be that the terms of the license limit where they can sell the product.

I don't know how this might affect a warranty. I have a hard time believing that if a professional photographer from Japan was working or living in the US he'd have to send it back to japan to be serviced. But I don't really know.

There may be some licensing issues with third party software and hardware. When a camera manufacturer builds a camera, they often times use pre-existing software and hardware for more basic things. It may be that the terms of the license limit where they can sell the product.

I don't know how this might affect a warranty. I have a hard time believing that if a professional photographer from Japan was working or living in the US he'd have to send it back to japan to be serviced. But I don't really know.

Pros have NPS, and whatever the Canon equivalent is... so that probably wouldn't be an issue there. But it someone in the US buys Grey Market... they won't get a warranty (and Pro's here probably wouldn't consider buying grey market) Read the B&H Greay Market disclaimer I posted above!

You can't even pay to have it fixed, I believe... they won't even work on them.
I don't believe that...

With Canon, there is no reason to buy grey market - the price difference is like $10. From what I have seen, the price difference with Nikon gear is much larger.

When you buy grey market, the warranty is up to the place you buy it from - so make sure you buy it from some place you trust.

You can't even pay to have it fixed, I believe... they won't even work on them.
I don't believe that...

With Canon, there is no reason to buy grey market - the price difference is like $10. From what I have seen, the price difference with Nikon gear is much larger.

When you buy grey market, the warranty is up to the place you buy it from - so make sure you buy it from some place you trust.
believe it, nikon will not fix it. You can buy a warranty from the store tho.

Well, that's kind of ****ty that Nikon won't work on their own cameras. Canon will work on their grey market cameras, but the normal rates apply (it would be the same as if you didn't have a warranty (not the original buyer) or it had expired).
(I don't know why anybody would buy a grey market Canon body or lens though... The price difference is almost nothing.)

Even if Nikon won't fix it, there are a ton of other camera repair shops that would.

Well, that's kind of ****ty that Nikon won't work on their own cameras. Canon will work on their grey market cameras, but the normal rates apply (it would be the same as if you didn't have a warranty (not the original buyer) or it had expired).(I don't know why anybody would buy a grey market Canon body or lens though... The price difference is almost nothing.)Even if Nikon won't fix it, there are a ton of other camera repair shops that would.
Not anymore, I read an article a little while back that said something about Nikon to stop providing parts to retailers and camera repair shops. Kinda makes me disappointed in Nikon, but I have never had a problem with their products. Same thing with apple and the new MacBook pro, how everything is unupgradable, but at the same time. It is quality stuff.

Well, that's kind of ****ty that Nikon won't work on their own cameras. Canon will work on their grey market cameras, but the normal rates apply (it would be the same as if you didn't have a warranty (not the original buyer) or it had expired).(I don't know why anybody would buy a grey market Canon body or lens though... The price difference is almost nothing.)Even if Nikon won't fix it, there are a ton of other camera repair shops that would.
Not anymore, I read an article a little while back that said something about Nikon to stop providing parts to retailers and camera repair shops. Kinda makes me disappointed in Nikon, but I have never had a problem with their products. Same thing with apple and the new MacBook pro, how everything is unupgradable, but at the same time. It is quality stuff.
Ruger (American gun manufacturer) did the same thing for a while. (Need a new spring? Gotta send the gun to the factory...) They lost a lot of customers and took a huge hit to their reputation for it. They don't operate that way anymore, but a lot of people still don't trust them...

It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happens here.

I know I wouldn't buy a camera that I can't buy parts for and can only have repaired or serviced at one or two facilities in the country...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back