Asking the internet for help. IRL is unreliable. Upgrading to new camera - Advice?

Failcore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Right, so I decided to sell my Sony A330 after some years of good use.
I have had good experience with that camera (not having tried Nikon or Canon) so I decided to scout for a new Sony camera.
I want to get a noticeable upgrade as well as a camera I don't have to replace next year.

I tried the Sony A37, but ended up getting really disappointed when I turned on the camera. It felt so fragile, screen was poor, and it just didn't feel right. Felt cheap.

So now I'm all confused again!

Which models should I take into consideration? And lenses?
My budget is rather flexible. I'm however not looking to spend £1000 on a camera, just yet. This is also the reason I thought of the A37.

I don't mind switching brand, I don't have that much gear yet.
I looked at Nikon D3200, D5100, D7000, and the Canon 600D.

Oh, and I use it mainly for everyday photos at family gatherings, but also portraits, which I love.

Now, help please, internet!:thumbup:

Last edited:
Budget? Do you have an investment in Sony lenses that you would like to keep?
The newer Sony's are pretty amazing and if you have any lenses you are invested in I'd go to something like the A77 if you want a significant upgrade. The A57 might be an option as well.
I am just a little hesitant to tell you to jump ship after reading all Gary Fong has to say about the new Sony's lately. You can browse through his blog to get a ton of info on them.

One thing I once heard was that once you pick the camera that you want, save up and buy the next model up.

I don't have any Sony lenses, that I'm keeping, so I'm almost starting from scratch again.

Well, budget would probably be around $1000, I guess. But yeah, I'm fairly flexible if I end up finding a camera that's just right for me.

I too have been checking out the A57 as well as the A37, which I ended up rejecting again.
The A77 is out of my price range, sadly. At least for now - till I have explored other opportunities.

When it comes to Nikon and Canon, I have close to no insight in their models or anything.

You really need to go to a store and handle a canon model and a Nikon model. It's REALLY about what is right for you. If I were starting out now I'd probably look really hard at Nikon, personally. I am very invested in the Canon line, but I had toyed with the idea of switching if the new 5d3 hadn't been up to snuff.
I'd go for the D7000 and 60D. If you have to handle a Canon Rebel, go somewhere else. The 60D line and up controls are much more intuitive.

Go to DPreview.com, its where i am comparing cameras to buy right now. they are un bias and very acurate. Also do what MLeek said to do :)

Yeah, I also use Dpreview alot. And I checked out his blog aswell - thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to check out the A65 :)

Most reactions

Back