At a photographic crossroads

Ripskip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So here I stand at my first crossroads as a photographer. I began shooting more seriously this year with a Nikon D70 and 55-200. Being a motocross photographer, it was clear that this setup isn't/wasn't going to cut it.

So I picked up a mint 80-200 f/2.8 AFS...and it has been a great upgrade for me. The clarity is second to none and there is no way I could go back. I had the chance to shoot a D2Xs with a 300 fixed, and when I went back to my setup it made me realize that I had a long way to go before I reach the level of quality I'm after. My biggest complaint is that the D70 hardware is so antiquated in terms of autofocus detection. I have lost so many otherwise good shots due to slow/underperforming autofocus. I've tried numerous settings, but to no avail.

So here I am. My thrifty side says to buy used, and perhaps buy a generation previous to the current model. However, i realize you get what you pay for, and therefore I want to avoid a cropped frame camera like the D200 or D300. My question is, where does that leave me? Is the difference between the D2X and D2Xs big enough to pay the difference? Or, am I better off biting the bullet and getting the D3 and hanging onto it longer? I have started selling my photos for commercial print/web advertising, so the quality of the photo is becoming far more important then if they were for my own enjoyment.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

You also need to work on your technique a little bit. Turn off AF for a while. If you're shooting racing, you know roughly where the person is going to go through the shot. If AF is off, it's not hunting around. Don't shoot wide open, shoot at f/5.6 or f/8, and DOF will ensure you nail the shot until you learn to anticipate the racer.

Yup! Pre-setup the shot, wait for the action and squeeze off a sequence - even for background blur it's the same. Usually a body with a fast frame rate is considered a major plus. The D300 is pretty quick at 6fps. The D700 is 5fps and with the optional battery pack is a whopping 8fps. The D3 is 9 and 11 fps respectively but with a pretty big price jump. My old D2x was 5fps but with a crop to 7mp it could do 8fps.

(since you're already into Nikon)

As for a comparison between the D70 :)lol:) and the D2x see: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com..._d2x,nikon_d2xs,nikon_d70,nikon_d70s&show=all

Last edited:
Umm...About the cropped frame, if i'm not mistaken, the d2 and d2x are both cropped frame, not full frame. Also, the d300 and d200 are both amazing cameras, also with a much faster autofusing system then the d70. The d700 as mentioned is the cheapest nikon full frame camera. The d300 would most likely (many agree) outperform the d2x and will provide all the quality needed for pro shots. If you do insist on full frame however, the d700 and d3 are both great options, only you can decide however if the d3's extra features are worth it to you.

well, here's a bit of an update:

Talk about a foot in mouth moment! I stand corrected regarding the D2X and D2XS...both are cropped frame. One thing that I didn't consider is that by going to a full frame, I am going to lose some of the effective zoom of my 80-200. Quite a bit actually.

So here is my new plan of attack: Since the D300 has virtually identical resolution and AF hardware, my best bet would be to purchase a D300 to use with my 80-200. If/when my photo career takes off and I can afford the D3, pick up a D3 (or whatever the current model is) along with a 300mm fixed to go along with it, then use the D300 as a really solid backup.

That seems to be the most efficient and cost effective solution to my quandry...any thoughts?

Just so you know, you dont actually get any more zoom with a cropped sensor, the field of view is smaller, and it appears you have more zoom. But it doesnt actually zoom any closer, its still 80-200,, it looks like, idk what it is like 160-400? Also, I think by going with the d300 yoiu have made a good choice.

Gotta go with Iron and Bif on this. Technique is far more important then a fast auto focus. F8 is razor sharp with plenty of depth. I rather bump up the asa or drag the shutter and create a bit of motion than have the confounded auto focus lock on the background or hunt and miss the shot all together. A big brite viewfinder is the best focus tool you can have.

So here is my new plan of attack: Since the D300 has virtually identical resolution and AF hardware, my best bet would be to purchase a D300 to use with my 80-200. If/when my photo career takes off and I can afford the D3, pick up a D3 (or whatever the current model is) along with a 300mm fixed to go along with it, then use the D300 as a really solid backup.

That seems to be the most efficient and cost effective solution to my quandry...any thoughts?

Sounds like a plan. D300 is a very nice camera! :thumbup: Miles and miles above and beyond the D70 you were talking about. ;)

WOW

you all are pro.

:lovey::lovey:

Just so you know, you dont actually get any more zoom with a cropped sensor, the field of view is smaller, and it appears you have more zoom. But it doesnt actually zoom any closer, its still 80-200,, it looks like, idk what it is like 160-400? Also, I think by going with the d300 yoiu have made a good choice.

I don't know the best way to explain that! "Effective" zoom is the best way I can put it. The cropped frame obviously doesn't zoom more, but it does change the "effective" zoom perspective, no?

My technique is clearly the biggest improvement that I can gain, and for free at that!! However having the best platform to do that on I feel is equally important.

Thanks for all of your feedback and I will keep you posted!

I know what you mean about the D70's lousy AF! At least you have the AF-S model, try it on the AF-D one, it's bad, the little screwdriver in the D70 doesn't really have enough torque for it.

However...

When I was shooting sports with my D70 and 80-200, I figured out a few things that really helped in getting the shot nailed.

Turn on AF-C. It's pretty much useless on the D70, AF-S and tapping the shutter is much faster.

Prefocus around where you expect to take the shot, that way the AF doesn't have to rack back and fourth as much.

When you're about to take the shot, keep tapping the af so that there's even less time wasted in it racking back and fourth.

And if possible, use strobes. Your camera syncs at 1/500th of a second, not many do that, so you can control ambient alot easier then anyone else. You also get less haloing because 1/250th doesn't do a super job of freezing action.

These are both uncropped, done exactly the way I just said.

2399985807_719376a010_o.jpg

2399993055_37f92fcce3_o.jpg

And here's a 100% crop from the top shot, razor sharp.

dsc0155editws2.jpg

If you really need a faster camera now, you can buy used D2h's at about $600-$800. They're faster then the D2x, have much better noise performance, more forgiving about being out of focus because it's 4mp and has the same AF system as the D2x. It's an awesome camera! I almost bought one.

Thanks for the tips!! The camera CAN and WILL take good photos, it's just a matter of getting the percentage of keepers up!! In truth, i'll probably keep it for the rest of the season and upgrade this winter.

Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back