At a stand still between lights

sean7488

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I want to get new lights, I'm looking to spend around 550. I've come up with two choices that I'm having a hard time choosing between them. The first would be the new nikon sb-910 speed light and if I got that I would get a stand and soft box for that for off camera use. The other choice is this lighting kit - Impact LiteTrek 4.0 DC Monolight and Mini LiteTrek 10052520 B&H . What do you guys think is the better choice? I do have another speed light, the nikon sb-600 but I want a second light. I would use it for portraits and the occasional wedding.

Well, I started off typing before I read everything, so here goes round two.

I would say everybody needs a speedlight, and preferably one more powerful than the SB-600. I'm actually partial to the SB800's when they come up on the used market(usually around $300). I would also say that for a wedding type environment where you were the main shooter, you need a monolight, preferably something a bit stronger than the light you posted in the event you get stuck outside on a well lit day. Either way, the SB910/900/800 can't do what a monolight can do and the monolight can't do what the SB can do.

I guess, if I were you, I would go for the monolight to add some options...Just realize that the sync cord is a pain to work with so you may need to factor in some radio triggers.

The head you listed isn't really studio lighting, per se. It's portable and it's definitely something I want, but if I had only one or the other I'd go with the speedlights first and foremost. I really think you made the right decision.

I know linkdelight has one of those units about half price... I also know you get what you pay for... HOWEVER... I have never had a problem with anything I have gotten from them either. I expect it to get what I pay for and manage my expectations accordingly. My only reason for not purchasing yet is that it's a 220 cord only...

There are a lot of options with speed lights. It depends what you are looking for. A nice strong speedlight is the sb80dx but it might only work in manual depending on the camera you have. You can't ever have too many flashes lol. I like flashes since you can put them anywhere. If you need to overpower the sun, you will need a decent strength monolight, or a few flashes.

I think that I'd have gone with a PCB Einstein (640Ws down to 5Ws) and a vagabond mini-lithium or vagabond ll power source. But I'd be at least a $100 over $550.

Most reactions

Back