At last afetr so many questions I got my new lens

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was asking, looking and reading.
Went from 2000$ lens to the more moderate and eventualy came to this conclusion.
In my current state I just cant appreciate really good lens and as much as I want them I really dont need them at the moment.
What I want and need is a good mid range FX body zoom lens that will not break the bank.

Today I got it, I got the new Nikon 24-85mm F3.5-4.5 VR, this is the lens you get as a kit lens with the D600.
I got it mint, never used from a guy who bought the D600 and has the Nikon 24-70 F2.8 so he simply doesnt need this lens.
Price was awsome and it simply was a deal I couldnt refuse.

Of course the problem is that my D7000 is at the Nikon service centre so I need to wait patiently before I will actually get to play with the camera.
I really dont like waiting :( I am funny that way LOL

I do want to ask for your thoughts on this issue.
With my D7000 I got the 18-105mm DX body lens.
I dont think I will use it anymore now that I will have the new lens.
How does these 2 lenses compare ?
Do you think the new lens really is better and will produce better pictures ?
I am considering simply to sell it.

I know the new lens will be 36-136mm on my DX body and the apature range is better, I also know the VR on the new lens is a more advance but all this dry technical specs doesnt tell me which camera really shoots better.

The 18-105mm was a sub-par kit lens but was used by many simply because it was wide enough for landscapes and had a nice zoom. The 24-85mm is a nice mid-range lens and good for portraits and overall the IQ will be better than the 18-105mm. I would consider selling it if you already don't have any plans for future use of it. Maybe buy a nice 50mm prime or a nice flash if you don't already have one already.

The 18-105mm was a sub-par kit lens but was used by many simply because it was wide enough for landscapes and had a nice zoom. The 24-85mm is a nice mid-range lens and good for portraits and overall the IQ will be better than the 18-105mm. I would consider selling it if you already don't have any plans for future use of it. Maybe buy a nice 50mm prime or a nice flash if you don't already have one already.
Great feedback, thats what I wanted to know.
The 24-85 and 18-105 are two lenses which fill the same niche so I am glad to know the 24-85 is the better lens.
When I will upgrade to full frame I will be able to keep it and it looks like I really dont have any more use for my 18-105.
I will seriously consider selling it.

I already have a 50mm 1.8G prime so I will think hard what else I need, a speed light is a good idea :)

Thanks

if you dont already have a speedlight, a flash is a great way to go.
SB700's are around $250 used, and SB600's around $150 used. both are good flashes, the 700 has commander mode, which the 600 doesnt have, but you have that built into your d7000 anyway.
you can also go with third party flashes, but i dont have much information on those, we only have nikon flashes.

Congrats on the new lens! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

you can also go with third party flashes, but i dont have much information on those, we only have nikon flashes.

Metz makes nice flashes. I have the Metz 50 AF-1 and it's a wonderful unit. Made in Germany and has a USB port in case you need any firmware updates in the future. $250 brand new at Amazon, but I would assume could be scooped up for less if you can find one used. It's comparable in features to the Nikon SB-600 I'd say.

http://www.metz.de/en/flash-units/product-ranges/system-flash-units/mecablitz-50-af-1-digital.html

I actually wanted to ask about flashes and it looks like you guys beat me to it.
I will open another post about what flashes to buy after I do a little research into this subject.
Until now I was too busy deciding what lens I want and now I can look around for a ncie flash.

Most reactions

Back